Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backyard Greenhouse Tomato Pollination Idea? Will it work?

Posted by azee_2009 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 11:26

Hello Everyone,
This idea is for small scale backyard greenhouse. Because tomato plant is self-pollinated (flower gets fertilized by transfer of pollen from the anthers to the stigma of the same flower) so i think this idea will work.
I want to temporarily place a fan under targeted tomato or other plant & blow air upwards for 30-60 secs daily that may spread pollen grains in a small scale backyard greenhouse. Will it work? What do you guys think? If anybody has ever tried some thing like that? Please comment.

Below is diagram that is self explanatory.
Pollination With Fan, Pollination for a small scale backyard greenhouse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backyard Greenhouse Tomato Pollination Idea? Will it work?

Sounds reasonable enough. I've seen the idea a couple of times in hydroponics books, but I've not had a chance to try it myself as all of my tomato plants are outside. May need to though--I've not seen an single bee all year...

o

For one plant its easy enough to just use an electric toothbrush. If I had multiple plants, I'd just give them all a shake 2 or 3 times a day.
While a reasonable idea, it seems unnecessary and likely to blow pollen all over the place.
Hope you don't have allergies.

o

azee_2009
I'm not sure how many tomato plants you plan, but placing a fan underneath each one seems unreasonable to me for various reasons. For just a couple of plants shaking them daily, or using a electric toothbrush on the back of the flower clusters typically work well. For more plants or people that don't want to do the labor, placing a few oscillating fans around the room works great. The fan direction isn't important, air circulation is. For the truly lazy, the oscillating fans can be on timers. But typically are set to run 24/7. The constant air circulation helps prevent fungal disease as well (especially in humid greenhouse conditions).

o

Walk through the greenhouse once every two days in the afternoon with a leaf blower at low speed. Quick and very effective...

o

The hydroponic store in my neighborhood, just puts an osculating fan near the plants and their plants have tons of fruit. As homehydro said, I dont think the direction of the fan really matters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here