Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient strength & EC testing

Posted by CaptainHydro WA Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 11:32

I can't locate where I read this but the moment I did it seemed entirely logical

Basically you measure the EC one day, come back in a day or two and if the EC level has dropped your nutrient strength is too low (the plants have used more nutrients than water) and if its gone up the nutrient strength is too strong.

One would think you could find the exact amount of nutrient strength the plants want this way and use it, topping up as required (and recycling as neccesary).

But this gets me thinking, assuming the nutrient is chemically balanced exactly as the plant would want it, is this all really optimal for growth? Should their be excess nutrients in the solution? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient strength & EC testing

One of the easiest ways of reducing EC change over time is to increase the nutrient volume. Doubling the volume will cut the EC change in half, doubling it again will cut it to a quarter, etc. Not sure if this is possible in your situation but just a suggestion.

o
RE: Nutrient strength & EC testing

never increasse nutrient levels above the labels instruction you risk burning the plant. also plants eat light not nutrients. you add them to help facilitate photosynthesis. top off the system with water and flush once every 5-10 days. Nutrient solutions is cheap recyclings a pain. pH is the only thing that must stay constant to prevent precipitants from the solution. Email me for info on where to get a good pH meter (it has to be double junction for hydroponic or else it won't work for long)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here