Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is doubling your E.C. with reservoir change dangerous?

Posted by widespreadpanic 27936 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 12:39

I have an ebb and flow tomato grow:

I changed my nutrient reservoir today and switched from GH maxi grow to using Floramato. My E.C. doubled from .84 to 1.62. I used the recommendation for "fast growing" plants and did not use in either case the most extreme feeding.

Is a dramatic change like this going to have an adverse effect on my plants or is it possible they will be happy b/c I was "starving" them of nutes originally?
Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greene Tomato

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is doubling your E.C. with reservoir change dangerous?

It will probably be a bit of a shock to them at first, but I'm sure they'll bounce back. Tomatoes are weeds. They'll grow through about anything. 1.62 is probably more along the EC they'll like than 0.84 too so I'd say they'll appreciate the extra food.

o

Why don't you simply play safe and do it in two steps with an interval of 2-3 days. Would that be difficult to realize technically? ;-)

o

Don't worry widespreadpanic Lucy is a ass to everyone , he had just about ruined another forum "http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/" Until he got locked out!

o

If my Lucy you mean lucas, I have had an entirely different experience. He/she has only been very helpful to me so far and I probably would have killed my plants by now if not for he/she.

Anyway, Lucas, no I can't step it up in intervals b/c I had to do the reservoir change before I left town for 3 days.

Oh well, they looked ok this morning, we'll see how they look when I get back.

o

I agree that it would have been better to transition slowly to a higher EC unless the goal is to shock (some people do that to induce flowering). But, when time is not on our side, we do what we must. Don't worry about it. Next time, mix a couple gallons of nutrient solution and test the EC. Take note of the EC based on the amount of nutrient you added to the water. I find that the directions on commercial nutrients call for much higher dosages than I feel work best. For example, GH's Flora series usually puts me up around 2 - 2.2 if I follow directions and use rain water. I find 1.6 to 1.8 to be perfect for the variety of tomatoes I use it on (Brandywine and San Marzano Roma's). Like Grizzman said, you aren't likely to hurt them much, if at all. You might even see some explosive growth after a day or two. Depends on the age of the plants.

o

Well, it is always safe to slowly transition to a higher EC reading to avoid any unfavorable experience...So, how are your tomato plants doing now?

o

They went nuts! Seems they were 'hungry for more'!

I've had to start drastically clamping them to my cages in a spiral fashion so that I don't run out of room too soon.
Check out the link below to my blog for lots of photo updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greene Tomato

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here