Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

water quality question

maple_grove_gw
12 years ago

Hello all,

My question is not actually about hydroponics, but rather water quality for irrigation of containerized plants and the garden generally, and I thought you folks would be the best qualified to answer my question.

My well water goes through a water softener. I have no choice about it and no real option to remove it without buying a whole house RO system. My untreated well water has some low level of iron such that w/o the softener, the water turns things red (toilets, anything that gets hit by the sprinkler...). I don't have the result in front of me, but from what I can recall, the water test showed high single digits for iron, calcium, etc. I have been using this softened water for container plants/lawn, etc. for years and I've not noticed any problems.

As a first step towards taking greater control of the fertilizer regimen for my container garden, I recently got a TDS meter. Using the NaCl mode, the readout is ~130-140 ppm. Now for the questions. Since the water went through the softener, does all 130 ppm necessarily consist of Na and Cl? With respect to Na and Cl, how much is too much (I know that none would be best, but when should I start to get worried?) I plan to use the "weekly weakly" fertilizer program, and the total TDS will not be elevated above 500 ppm based on my testing. But I'm curious about whether my sodium is (excessively) problematic. Again, this is mainly for curiousity since I'm not in a position to be able to do anything about it right now.

Alex

Comments (7)

• MisterK
    12 years ago

Salt can cause ionic stress to the plant, which can inhibit metabolic processes such as protein synthesis

Salt can accumulate in older leaves, which then kills them, reducing photosynthesis capacity.

Now thats for the geeky part. Reality says that low level can be disregarded, but if youre going for a light feed regimen, try to put a little less of whatever contains nacl...

As a comparison, sea water total dissolved salts stand at 35000ppm.
    A date tree can take up to 12000ppm of salinity.

Ive been growing hydro from tap water forever and never had problems. Is RO water at 0 ppm better to start with? Of course it is...is it worth the trouble and expense of an RO system? Not in my opinion...

• grizzman
    12 years ago

I can't say definitively but if it's worked previously, it shouldn't be a problem now. you should have you water tested to determine how much of what nutrients are already present. If you have a lot of iron and calcium already, you needn't be too concerned with adding them.
    Also, recognize the limitations of a TDS meter. if you take water and add a dissolved salt into it until the meter reads 500 ppm, that doesn't mean there are 500 ppm of dissolved salts in the water. It means there are simply enough dissolved salts to make the meter read that way. TDS is simply a conversion of EC. to be useful you need a baseline measurement of your plain water (which you have) then calculate the amount of nutrients in the solution you're going to make and measure that. whether it matches the meter of not is irrelevant. you're developing a relative scale.
    Oh! and 500 ppm is not a "weak" nutrient solution. That's about what I use to grow sweet peppers.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, MisterK and grizzman.

The TDS meter has 3 conversion scales, and I've selected "NaCl" which will hopefully give me fairly accurate readings at least for my baseline reading. From there, I guess calculations are needed to supply accurate values for the fertilizer solution. BTW, my standard "weak" solution read around 300 ppm, and 500 ppm is the most concentrated that I expect to use.

Too bad sodium isn't any better for plants than it is for humans.

• artwk
    12 years ago

You could switch to Potassium Chloride pellets for your water softener if you are worried about sodium.

• Outdoor_Hydro
    11 years ago

Get an RO filter, 0 PPM water. It's the best way to go and plants love it, plus it makes it easy to dial in your nutes.

• howelbama
    11 years ago

RO also wastes a ton of water, some systems create almost 2 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of RO they produce... So, not only do the filters cost money, but your water bill will also go up a ton...

• Outdoor_Hydro
    11 years ago

"RO also wastes a ton of water, some systems create almost 2 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of RO they produce... So, not only do the filters cost money, but your water bill will also go up a ton..."

It does waste some water. There is a tube for clean RO water and a tube for waste water. I would say there are 2 parts output for dirty water for every 1 part of clean water. So Yah, Wasting 2 gallons per every 1 ballon or somewhere thearbouts. This was can easily be collected and used to water soil plants or other things though if you want.

For me, I use a 55 gallon drum Ebb&Grow system and I only change the rez every 2 weeks, so I am only using ~100 - ~150 gallons every 2 weeks. That sounds like a lot, but it's like taking a few baths in the bathtub. My water bill hasn't increased very noticeably. I had 400PPM water in my tap and the RO made a big difference.