Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danh_2008

I have questions about growing bibb lettuce

danh_2008
16 years ago

I am doing this for my school project a i would like it if you experts can answer some of my questions. So far, this furom has been of great use to me. I know how to grow lettuce but want to clarify some things. I have an NFT system with fox farm grow big nutrients. I will be growing bibb lettuce indoors. I will use wicks first to bring the nutrients up to the lettuce and remove them when the roots are long enough.

-can i grow lettuce with just plain water and if yes is there a difference?

-How can I make the nutrient solution dilute?

-I will start seeds off in perlite and use a wick to get the nutrients up. I have 5 inch net pots so about how much wicks should i use and where? Should the wicks touch to nutrient film with its tip or submerge it a little?

-how much does light have to be on everyday?

-What is the right temperature for bibb lettuce in farenheit and celsius?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to mess up on this project which will be 50% of my grade!!!! Thanks for all the help.

Danh Vu

Beginner

Comments (3)

• hydrotomato
    16 years ago

Dan

Firstly, make sure that you are using Fox Farm Grow Big for Hydroponics. If it doesn't say for hydroponics you will run into calcium problems. Have a look at the ingredients, it needs to list calcium nitrate. If it doesnt have calcium you will need to use a calcium supplement. The store that you purchased the Fox Farm nutrient at will have something that you can use.

Secondly, no nutrients = no growth/yield. You will need to use a nutrient to get your plants to grow. You can however begin your seeds with just plain water until about 1" tall after which you will need to start feeding your plants.

I suggest using oasis cubes or rapid rooters (google it) to start your seedlings, perlite will work but can get stuck in the irrigation system, especially if you are not using some kind of filter. If you want to use perlite then I suggest that you place your pump into a stocking or a large sock to stop the perlite from entering the irrigation system. You can use a wick system to get the seeds started, I would rather top water them in the perlite until the roots grow into the gully.

Use a dilution rate of 5-7.5 ml per gallon of water (for Fox Farm nutrients). If you are using a calcium supplement (in liquid form) use 2-4 ml per gallon.

As for light, 12-16 hours per day will be sufficient. Use T8 fluorescent bulbs with a mixed spectrum of 2700k and 6500k type bulbs. If you have the cash then purchase a T5 lighting system (they can be quite expensive). Remember, no or weak light = no growth.

Temperature requirements will depend on variety of bibb, however you will get great results if the temperature is kept between 65 and 75°F. Also keep an eye water temperature. Water temperature is as important as air temperature and should be maintained between 65-70°F.

Good luck and dont forget to post your results.

• ooruth7
    16 years ago

Dan,

I am doing the same thing you. I am growing lettuce in a Deep water culture and i am very unsure about seeds growing in perlite since when i top water the perlite and touch it..it isnt that moist but hopefully wicks help.
    You can try to germinate them in a baggie method and then plant them in perlite

Here is a link that might be useful: Go here for a little more info

• dutch___08
    16 years ago

I am using a 4' by 8' foot raft system and in my cups I put a 4:1 ratio of perlite to vermiculite. The vermiculite keeps the cup contents moist. My lettuce seeds germinated within 3 days using no nutrients and my well water. This system is outside and so far is doing well. I put nutrients in it today, so we will see how it goes.