Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Hydro Strawberry Plants Over Winter

Posted by bruce432 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 14:01

Last summer I grew my strawberry plants in wood chips outside in 5 gallon bato buckets in northeast PA. They did well through the growing season but I left them out over the winter and the plants died. What do you folks do so that your strawberry plants survive the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Hydro Strawberry Plants Over Winter

Sounds like your roots froze.

As for over-wintering strawberries, the usual trick is to cover them with 5 or 6 inches of straw and let it snow. They will survive this way, usually without a problem.

The "stolons" or runners actually need a certain amount of "cold hours" (usually around 160) per year to assure fruiting in the following season. Cold hours are in the neighborhood of 35 to 40 degrees and of course, do not include a "hard freeze".

I'm currently testing a product that is supposed to protect plants down to 27 degrees F. I'll post the results as soon as I have some.

o
Slight Correction

Oops. I kinda missed the boat on your question; somehow I overlooked the "hydro" part.
On that note, you'll have to figure out a way to keep the air temperature warmer. This will probably mean growing in a heated greenhouse.

Of course, you could do what the rest of us do and merely buy new "pre-treated" bare-root stock each year. That way, every year is a "first-year" crop and the fruit production is its highest. Second and third-year productions are far less than the first year's.

If you do the bare-root thing, be sure to order by late October or November or you may be out of luck. They go fast and when they're gone; they're gone. If you can hook up with a commercial grower, you might be able to buy for cheaper. The commercial crew buys them by the pallet. That's about 12,000 individual plants. They're REALLY cheap when you buy them like that!

"Pre-conditioned" by the way means the plants have had the necessary amount of "cold hours" before they are shipped. So, if you want to propagate from your own runners, you'll have to make sure you give the new starts about 160 hours of chill time or they won't fruit!

Hope that sets things straighter! :O)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here