Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenleaf

Plant spacing. Is this a correct observation?

hiddenleaf
13 years ago

It seems to me, after looking at some hydro systems that plants tend to get placed closer together than they would in soil-based farming methods. Looking at the aerogarden, it seems like you can cram much more into one space. I'm wondering if that is true because there is less competition for air and resources by the roots, and the standard 24-36" that you would use for tomatoes doesn't apply as much in hydroponic systems

Comments (11)

• grizzman
    13 years ago

Mostly its a lack of competition for water. But yes, you are correct.

• lucas_formulas
    13 years ago

In most cases it's about root space that is needed, in NFT, 50 cm (20") are recommended for tomatoes. Less would be sufficient, but roots could clog the channels. Same for lettuces, it's not about space between plants only, but about root space needed in the gullies. Most plants that are in optimal nutrient solution will not develop as an extensive root system as in soil, as there is no need for the search of nutrients. Also nutrient composition matters, the more balanced it is the better the ratio shot- vs. root size should be. There is some scientific papers on nutrient composition and the resulting shot vs. root size.

PS: in good soil and if you do not care about uniformity and calibration, you also can cram a lot into a small space. In both disciplines it depends on plant species as well: some will develop in narrow spaces, with others there will be "selection" .

• hiddenleaf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you lucas
    So I was right on the mark :) It makes sense now how I see plants, like lettuce, so crammed together and thriving when they would normally be trying to push each other aside in soil.
    So out of curiosity; How much space is required in DWC or F/D for tomatoes? On the other hand you put them too close and they will compete for light.....but how close?

• lucas_formulas
    13 years ago

I guess here it would depend on variety, as determinate varieties will get more bushy and indeterminate will grow higher and are typically pruned and trained to allow more narrow planting space. Competition for light is not the first criteria here, as tomatoes can be heavily pruned and a few leafs will be enough for photosynthesis. Actual space for aeration (transpiration), and 'accessibility' has to be considered in the first place. I guess one to one a half foot is an average space. But you can always try to put them closer.

For tomatoes I'd recommend anyway ground level NFT, even if it's a single or two channel(s) As it's amazing how they grow with this setup and how unproblematic and 'sure to grow' they become then. But here I am taking true groovy NFT-channels like here: ---->

Not a standard and smooth PVC tube or other alternatives, which is often seen and OK, but never the same deal for a set of reasons.

Here is a link that might be useful: GroClean-NFT

• hiddenleaf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wouldn't an DIY NFT be just as good with an aluminum downspout?

• bbrush
    13 years ago

grow tomatoes in that GroClean-NFT?? after a few months you would have to rename the system from NFT to flood wouldn't you?

• hiddenleaf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bbrush
    Wouldn't a determinate tomatoes be the choice in that system? What would be your system of choice for tomatoes?

• bbrush
    13 years ago

I grow my tomatoes in bubblers/deep water culture, 100 litre containers with a airstones in them (the more the merrier), I have also grown them in flood and drain in the past.

I believe NFT is common in commercial tom production but I don't know if they would be as shallow as those ones above, but like you say there are probably varieties that could be grown in them.

• lucas_formulas
    13 years ago

The explanation I gave and the link I added was about the kind, NOT the size. It was the first link I came across. The ones for toms are typically bigger in cross section but not that much actually. I may have added that (important) part as well, right.

Mine are growing in a new, actually experimental type of channels of only 4x 3" that has an easily removable cover. Actually it has a separate styrofoam cover. As I mentioned earlier: balanced and appropriate nutrients prevent excessive root development. Adequate slope matters as well, and yes you would choose/prefer an appropriate, as in semi-determinate or determinate variety with a smaller channel type. Many types of cherry tomatoes are a good choice in case of a standard sized (typically used for lettuce) channel.

• hiddenleaf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its a shame you cannot give the roots a hair cut with out shocking the plant.

• lucas_formulas
    13 years ago

You can actually trim root ends without "shocking" or doing any harm to plants. You have even got specialized trimming machines for commercial production of lettuces. I've trimmed many times way too long roots (actually growing a long way through tubing until inside the reservoir) manually. That was with earlier setups though..

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!