Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri_berry_gw

ec meter calibration - need help quick!!!

cheri_berry
14 years ago

So I've been sick and then my kids have been sick and I just didnt have the energy to get my seeds going. I set my systems up already, but never did figure out how to calibrate my meter and then I got sick LOL So it just never got done (thank goodness I didnt sow the seeds!)

So here I am again, completely confused. Searching the forums for info and have yet to come across anything helpful.

So here is exactly what I need. I have the HM digital com-100 EC meter. it reads both EC and PPM. I already know it's best to read it EC, but the calibration fluid I have says "1000 ppm" then below that in smaller letters says "NaCI, at 25 degrees C/77 degrees F" Then below THAT it says "1060 as KCI, 1450 as "442", 2000 as EC" (but in the backwards u thing and an S...which if I remember right is EC...right?)

Ok, so my meter reads EC and ppm, but also the KCI, NaCI, and "442" combinations.

So... my assumption is that I set it to EC (uS thingy LOL) and NaCI combination. Is that right?? So then after I calibrate it I test the water and then I go by the results to figure out how much nutes to out in, right?

**sigh**

I WILL get this!!

Comments (10)

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe this link to my meter specs will help? I really need help guys :/

Here is a link that might be useful: com-100

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also a link to my calibration solution. This confuses me even more LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000 ppm

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, since no one has answered me yet, I just assumed that I was right, so I set it to EC/NaCI and calibrated it...I think... but now I'm more confused than ever. Should I be using PPM instead??? Because it says my EC is 227?????? I haven't added my nutes yet, and yes it's tap water that has been sitting most of the day.

This is the point where I get p*ssed and give up LOL but I REFUSE!! I WILL get this!!!!! I just need some help guys, PLEASE! :)

I have been searching for info all day. Maybe I'm just not using the right key words? idk, all the info I have found was not applicable :/

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Hi cheri berry,
    I was reading through your text several times but didn't understand WHAT YOU ACTUALLY DID to calibrate your instrument, thus I can't say if you did right or wrong.

In case you did your calibration right:
    If your tap water shows 227µS/cm (as your instrument displays EC in 0-9990 µS =microsiemens/cm) it actually means that your tap water EC is 0.23 (0,227) mS/cm (millisiemens per centimeter).

I mean that would be realistic and good news on top of it because you wouldn't have got hard water ;-)

If you did it wrong:
    "Factory Calibrated: The COM-100 meter is calibrated with a 1413 µS solution. The meter can be recalibrated with digital calibration using the push buttons, rather than a screwdriver."

This means when dipped in the calibration solution, it should read 1413 µS which is standard and 1.4(1) mS/cm. I f you did anything else or the instrument reads anything else than 1413, you did it wrong. Calibrate to 1413 before doing any further measurements, or drawing conclusions ;-)

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOl ok, let me explain more...

I knew it was calibrated to 1413, but I was told to re-calibrate it using my 1000ppm solution because it's closer to the tap water.

So I went through the directions step by step reading it very carefully and doing it as stated, I did this multiple times and got the same results, always getting 227. My actual question was what settings do I use? EC or ppm (I always hear EC is better so I went with that) and then it also gives me the choice to also measure in NaCI, KCI or 442. I've already ruled out 442, and I am pretty sure it's NaCI so I went with that. SO the combination I'm using is EC/NaCI to measure my water with.
    Sound right??
    What's confusing me is that everything I have reference to for my nutes says 1.6 or 2.4... or the ppm of 1540...so my meter gives me a number of 227 and THAT is what is confusing me! lol I'm looking for a something point something and it's giving me a whole number! **brain pain**

Ok, so you threw a number out to me, "0.23" ...how did you figure this number out? I know you put it in parenthesis, but how did you get there?

(PS I already knew that my water isn't hard, so this is a good sign, right!?)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Relax Cheri, all is fine.

I explained already how to convert to a more common reference as in 1.2 or 1.6, 2.4, etc. But here I go again then for the "unmistakably understandable record": 1000 µS (microsiemens) = 1.0 mS millisiemens. As your recommendations are in mS, but your instrument displays µS, the requested 1.6 (mS) will display 1600 (µS) with your instrument.

PS: best is to forget about both NaCI, KCI and 442 conversions (actually converted from µS/cm measurements to "ppm") unless you need them in a specific context and ARE SURE what conversion rates (or elemental ppm in case) were used when "either ppm unit" were recommended or told in any context. Otherwise you run back into- or create the very same odd confusion as any other usual suspect does ;-)

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:/ I'm sorry, I do remember you saying that LOL (twice actually...) But I appreciate you saying it again (probably through clenched teeth and rolling eyes LOL) for the sake of me understanding :)

I have no choice but to pick either NaCI, KCI, or 442 ALONG with the EC or PPM...that's where most of my confusion lies LOL

Again lucas, I know that I can be annoying with my 10,000 questions, but I have memory issues and I like to make sure I do things right...so I ask...a LOT... and even though it's annoying you (and it's ok lol I know I can be annoying) I appreciate that you take the time to answer me :)

I wrote this down...I wont ask again LMAO

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

I believe you worry to much cheri. If I was annoyed you would notice unmistakably as well I guess (or does my tone reflects anything alike without me realizing it?);-)

You're always welcome - and have fun with your new toy!

• grizzman
    14 years ago

your calibration solution is NaCl 1000ppm / 2000µS/cm.
    so set your meter to NaCl and EC. NaCl since that is the calibration solution you said you had and EC since that's what you want things to read out as.
    Insert the tip into your calibration solution and see what it reads. if it doesn't read 2000µS/cm (or 2.0mS/cm)push the calibration button (or however you adjust the calibration )and set it to read 2000 (or 2.0)

• cheri_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It goes to the 200 range, but next to the NaCI it flashes x10, so I figured that's 2000. I wish it would go to 2.0 LOL )or even 2000!)
    Thanks Grizzman :)

And Lucas...I TOTALLY worry too much! hahaha I HATE doing things wrong. I HATE learning by failure. I'd rather just skip all that and do it right the first time!! (unfortunately it's not the human way!!)