Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manual Pollination

Posted by lynndion566 FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 15:59

Hi, I have two squash plants, one hydro in screened porch, and one in soil outside. I have two flowers but as far as I can see they are female flowers (1 on each plant) with the baby fruit attached. How do I pollinate if there are no male flowers flowering at the same time the female is flowering? Thanks for the help. Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manual Pollination

This is just a guess, but if there's "baby fruit attached" pollination is apparently not a problem! My guess is the flower has both male and female parts, but like I said, it's just a guess; I grow only strawberries and tomatoes!

o

Squash often begin with only female blossoms, but will soon begin producing both male and female.
I usually plant one plant 2 weeks before the main crop to have male blossoms when the main crop begins to bloom.

Norm

o

Keep an eye on the females. If memory serves it varies a little depending on what kind of squash plant it is. Some need pollinated, some don't. I know that some of them are better tasting if they aren't pollinated. Those are called "parthenocropic" for those of you who like to learn big words.

Basically they'll grow a seedless fruit if not pollinated.

If the flower dies and the fruit soon follows, that member of the gourd family won't do that - you'll have to pollinate. In that case you'll just have to wait for male flowers. Many gardeners plant lots of the same plants to guarantee that they'll have male and female flowers together.

o

"parthenocropic" Hmmmm . . . That's interesting; I learn something new every day. Thanks.

o

Thanks for the input...update: baby squash in soil looks as if it is drying up and probably gonna die although the plant looks very healthy. The baby squash in the hydro unit is growing and looking good and plant is thriving also.. maybe is the "immaculate pollination" ???

o

Squash plants have male and female flowers. The female flowers are the ones with fruit, while the male flowers have no fruit.

To pollinate the flowers, I take a large water color paint brush and early in the morning swipe the paint brush inside the male flower. Your paint brush will look like you just dipped it into a bag of Cheese Puffs. Take the paint brush, and gently wipe the orange / yellow pollen onto the female center end part of the flower. The part is in the center of the flower, and closest to the outside. It looks like a tube, with a hole in the end of it.

o

You can pollinate squash without tools too - all you need to do is pick a blooming male flower, peel off the petals, and use the pointy bit in the middle (anthers) to pollinate the female flower.

Some varieties of squash (ones that can grow seedless fruit) actually have been bred to not have male flowers at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here