Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bntbrl

Fence Post Vinyl and Endcap Glues (PVC?)

bntbrl
15 years ago

I am thinking about using the 4 inch square fencepost sleeves to make a hydro setup. I found all the components and have the pumps and what not. However I was looking at the glue for the endcaps to glue to the tubes and it is laden with dangerous sounding chemicals. I was curious if anyone knew anything about the glues leaching into the water and making your lettuce or whatever full of methyl ethyl ketones or some other chemical pollutants.

I think I could get a lot of plants out of a small space with these square post sleeves, and I think its what the other manufacturers appear to use, if no they are really close. I just dont want to introduce some toxic chemicals I dont have to.

Comments (13)

• ricrellim
    15 years ago

I bet aquarium sealant would work fine.

• bntbrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought about that. The pvc should melt together and make a more permanent bond. The main concern I have with aquarium sealer (silicone) is that it doesnt seem to stick to many things very well. Perhaps if I were to scuff the surfaces with 80 grit or grind them with 80 grit it would stick much better.

I was thinking about nft or flood and wouldnt want to leak all the nutes on the ground by accident. I may try silicone anyway if I cant find anything better.

• dripguy
    15 years ago

This is the same glue used on water pipes. I would not hesitate to use it. The glue fuses the two pieces of pvc together. Once it dries the nasties evaporate into the air. If you are worried flush it with water first.

By the way, where are you getting the fence post? I've had trouble locating a source.

• bntbrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Both Lowes and Home Depot have it. However, it is always outside tucked away in some corner that is difficult to find. Its like the abyss of the hardware store. I looked for it and couldnt find it so I was leaving and walked out in between the hardware and garden shop and it was under the roof but not inside, if that makes sense, in a blind aisle. Most places Ive seen it it was not easy to find.

I will search around some for the evaporation thing, maybe read a few labels.

Thanks!

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Both will work on vinyl but silicone will not adhere to acrylic. Both are approved by the FDA for drinking water.
    i used silicone to glue on the roof of the aviary and it withstood 4 hurricanes!! Interesting side note to the vinyl material. had some buried in the ground for over 15 years and not only is it still useable it didn't even discolor!! gary

• egnilk66_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I just bought an 8' piece today for a drip system. I'm trying to figure out whethere to drill circle holes for net pots or square holes for 4"x4" rockwool cubes... Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog - Click here

• childswonder
    15 years ago

Hello,
    What I did was wrap 7 turns of vinyl pipe thread tape around the end of the tube. Then add the cap (should be a compression/tight fit). Add hot glue around the edges. Cover with white duct tape. Should last a few years. This way you dont have to worry about chemicals/sealant leeching past the vinyl tape into your system.

• Dan Klinge
    15 years ago

The fence posts are kicking BUTT

http://oflifeandliberty.blogspot.com/search?q=Hydro

So.....I guess I've had plants for about nine or ten days....check out the progress:

http://oflifeandliberty.blogspot.com/2008/06/hydroponic-garden-progress.html

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Looks good. I thin that'd be an ideal kind of system to use on an apartment balcony.

• Dan Klinge
    15 years ago

Yeah, I think so too... That's a great idea! YOu could probably use some hooks over the railing to hold it up rather than take up space with a stand.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog - Hydro Progress

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking - hang it on the outside of the railing (to get you more room on the balcony) or maybe on both sides to double your growing area. Just put the reservoir right underneath, pump and return lines... should be pretty simple.

Hrm... I think I might just build something like that.

• walter123
    15 years ago

pvc glues are fine once cured silicone doesn't adhere to pvc well or last very long once it does good luck