Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Determining nutrient component PPM of used nutrient solution?

Posted by gardenweb88 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 18:05

How would one determine the amount of individual nutrients used while replacing a reservoir of nutrient solution? If i had a detailed list of the PPM of the different nutrient components while mixing the nutrient solution together, how would that help me determine how much of each nutrient my tomato plant is using? Would I have to submit a sample to a lab? Is there a tool for home analysis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Determining nutrient component PPM of used nutrient solution?

there is a kit that tests most of the nutrients to determine such information. As I recall, each component has a seperate test and some, such as iron, only measure a small amount. when I was looking into it (it has been a few years) the kit was about $400 USD for 30 tests (of each component). If memory serves me, aquatic ecosystems sold said kit. you might look there.
To determine how much of what your tomatoes are using you test the nutrient when fresh then at the change out. the difference is the amount consumed.

o

That sounds incredibly cost prohibitive to the hobbyist tomato grower. too bad there isn't a less expensive option that would allow home growers to fine tune their nutrient formulas.

o

If you're garden is large enough to warrant such fine tuning, you should probably consider a commercial operation.
Another option would be to collect your spent over a period of time or quantity of liquid, then test the larger vat and adjust it accordingly. the cost is still there, but it is spread over a larger quantity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here