Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Place to buy Hydroton (expanded clay)

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 18:08

Do you guys have a good source?

It is available from amazon. The price is $30 for 50L, and I think that is not too bad. But something is wrong with the shipping. I tried to order 2 50-L bags, and the shipping fee is $73.93!

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Place to buy Hydroton (expanded clay)

I doubt it will be cheap anywhere online to ship, its not light.

I am not from America let alone Michigan but how far is Ann Arbor from you? thegrowshow.org

The Grow Show
Stone School Plaza
4095 Stone School Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

I am sure there are plenty of places that sell it in detroit also.

o

BBrush, thank you for the information! I am pretty close to Ann Arbor and go there very often. Will check out The Grow Show.

But I must have confused hydroton with something else. When I was in Europe for work last year, I saw something they call seramis. It is very light, like perlite. I thought hydroton is something similar.

I will check it out anyway. Thanks again!

o

Hydroton is light. not as light as perlite, but nothing like the weight of bricks. I was surprised the first time I picked up a bag myself.
Our local shop sells the 50L bag, I believe, for about $50 USD.

o

You are right, just realised the bags I buy are 100 litres not 50.

o

So the shipping fee of $73.93 (that is JUST the shipping fee, not the total cost) sounds expensive, doesn't it?

I think they probably entered a wrong weight in their system, and the software was not intelligent enough to combine 2 orders of 50 liter packages into 1 shipment.

o

You think thats bad, I wanted to buy some net cups from this site ( hydroponics.eu ) and even though I live in Europe my country isn't on their Europe list and so for one net cup that costs .90, shipping is 80, customs 60 and just to be nice they add a 5 packing fee, coming to 145 (US$195) for a 100 gram .90 net cup.

o

LOl! Bbrush, your case was indeed crazier! :-)

o

I had a similar problem with buying some mister heads. they wanted like $15USD for S/H of 20 of them.
A simple exchange of emails and it was straightened out.
I would suggest you email (or call) them and verify the amount quoted. 100L won't weigh terribly much, but it does take up a good bit of space. For the Americans here, remember one gallon is approximately 4L, so imagine stacking 25 gallons of milk together and shipping that. That would likely be considered an over-sized package.

o

According top http://postcalc.usps.gov and weight/dimensions at http://www.horticulturesource.com (41.82 LB - Dimensions 28. x 16.5 x 7. IN) it would be $23 to ship a 50l bag from NY to a random Michigan zip code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here