Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydroponics lettuce

Posted by wrightcrew Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 18:45

Hi all. I'm growing some lettuce in a raft hydroponics system (this is my first attempt at hydroponics). My lettuce is growing well, but it's all drooped over. The leaves never had stood up well. My ph is running around 6.5 and I'm using Botanicare Pureblend nutrient solution. Any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydroponics lettuce

hrm... what is the environment like, temp, ventalitation? nutrient solution temp? lighting? Is there airation in the nutrient solution tank (air stones or circulation)?

o

Make sure the water level is reaching the roots, and It sounds like the air temperature in the growing area is very high, adjust the temp to about 75 degree Fahrenheit and you will see the difference.
SZ

o

Read here about hydro lettuce production

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Hydro

o

Thank you for the compliment.

Surprisingly, there is no algae. I started to get some in the watering bottle, so I trashed that idea. Originally, I was to use hemp mat, but it was next to impossible to find and the cost was other-worldly! The burlap works out to about a penny per tray.

All I do now is pour in enough water to wet the mat and slap a clear plastic dome on things and let it rip. The mat is wet all the time and stinks a bit at first, but as the lettuce gets about a half inch tall, the smell subsides. I haven't actually harvested or "tasted" any of the product yet, but my guess is it'll be just fine.

In between adding more nutrient solution, I foliar feed using nutrient at the proper EC in a spray bottle and lightly mist things every day or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here