Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Pumpkin

Posted by NLG1 7b-8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 19:49

Has anyone tried growing a giant pumkin hydroponically and been successful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Pumpkin

I would love to somebody try pumpikins AND tomatoes. I don't see why they wouldn't beat the pants off of conventionally grown ones as long as you follow the other tricks of growing large vegetables, such as removing all but 2 or 3 fruits off a tomato plant, etc...

o

Giant pumkind have giant root systems, they burry the vines on both sides of the fruit and some even deprive the seedlings of light to get em spindly then burry them up to there cotoledons. try it, and keep the rest of us informed.

o

• Posted by egnilk66 Southern California (My Page) on
    Wed, May 20, 09 at 22:04

I am growing some. The plant is almost three feet long. The leaves are large. But, they're gradually yellowing. Any ideas??

PH looks good, water is a medium drip....maybe a gallon or two an hour. What is it??

o

Yellow leaves can indicate a lot of things. Root rot is one possibility. How do your roots look?

o

:egnilk66:
Yellow leaves 'usually' mean either too little light or too much water. I'd increase the light and back off on the water.
A gallon or two an hour may be fine for several plants (or a swimming pool!) but if it's just one plant, that's probably your problem.
As long as there are several other strong, green leaves, hack off the yellow ones as they'll die anyway. Your plant will be stronger.
What is your growing medium?

o

It's time to start thinking on pumpkins. I've considered a 5 gallon bucket hydro DWC system. Seems to be working so far for my DWC tomato plant. Any comments on 5 gallons- maybe need more than 5? I envision a ramp from the bucket down to ground level. Or I could bury the bucket part way. I'm not trying to enter a contest. Hopefully grow 3 or 4 'kins about 10-20 lbs to share with my friends.

Cheers!

o

Scott,
From what I saw, the product on your website is not FREE as you said. The shipping said it was free, but your charging $5 for the Trial Pack (+tax, there wouldn't be any tax on a free item either). That's what I would consider false advertising, and that's not a good impression. Certainly makes me feel like the post was just a ploy to post a link for a misleading statement, and the word "FREE" was just thrown in to get them to click on the link and view the product (bad ethics).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here