Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would this be a system?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 20:02

I'm not asking how to make a great system or any high tech details. I just wanted to know if this would essentially be a hydroponic system.

A 5 gallon bucket with some large holes cut into the top and then I set the top aside.

Then I fill the bucket with water and nutrients and add an air stone (diffuser) or whatever leading to a very strong air pump.

Then I put the lid back on, fit net pots into the holes, and put plants in the net pots with hydroponic media, like rock wool or whatever. So that their roots are in the water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would this be a system?

You certainly got the plot right. Go for it.

o

Lol. Simple enough. I have a whole bunch of nutrients I promised to try out. $200+ worth so I feel that I owe it to the company to get something hydroponic up and functioning.

o

Keep us informed please.

o

I'm not sure it it was your plan, but I recommend making the hole for the air line in the bucket and not the lid. If you take the lid off to refill, it's easier to have the airstone remain in the bucket.

o

zanderspice wrote:
I recommend making the hole for the air line in the bucket and not the lid.

Ha,ha . . .I made that mistake plenty times. bang head

o

Also, make sure the hole for the airline is well above your expected water line. Glue your airline to the side of the bucket so roots don't tangle around it, and make sure your bucket and lid are opaque. Hold them up to the sun - if light comes through you can grow algae inside and that's bad.

Beyond that it's pretty simple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here