Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root rot on new plants

Posted by twoyys Honolulu, Hawai (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 20:05

When I transfer the net pot rooted plants(lettuce to my hydroponic system it rots away. New roots donot form and the existing just rots away. I was told the pipe is too hot and or the water is contaminated. Some one at the hydroponic store told me to add hydrogen peroxide. Any help appreciated. My system is 2 inch PVC pipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root rot on new plants

Are you getting good drainage or flow?
Is the water stagnating?

o

• Posted by twoyys Honolulu, Hawai (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 14:14

Its gravity flow. Maybe I need to increase the pitch? It is about one inch to ten feet slope. It is free flow, pump up and gravity back to the holding tank. Also do I need to sanitize the sysrem. Maybe it needs a clorox flush? There is evidence of algae in the pipes. Holding tank is aerated by aquarium pump. Thanks any way, any comment appreciateed.

o

Flush with 1000 ppm hydrogen peroxide and not clorox.

The algae will reduce flow in the pipes significantly. Make everything you can opaque if it is growing algae. Put a filter on the pump intake and return and clean them frequently.

o

• Posted by twoyys Honolulu, Hawai (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 16:26

Thanks for the information. Some one at the hydroponic store told me to add hydrogen peroxide to the water to control algae growth. Is it okay, what is the proportion I should use? Any help. Also is it the hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store.

o

twoyys wrote:
. . . Also is it the hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store.

The drugstore sells 30% peroxide. For our use you need about half strength. (see: Oxyplus)
Ask the chemist to dilute it for you, or else use half the recommended dosage. You can use an old 5mL syringe for measuring.

o

most over the counter H2O2 is only 3%, not 30%. I have always been curious where a good local supply for the stronger stuff was.
My understanding is the best way to control algae growth is the take away its light source. How about painting all your pipes black or covering them with black plastic?

o

grizzman wrote:
most over the counter H2O2 is only 3%, not 30%.

Grief! First time I hear of that! Isn't the 30% available in your parts of the world at all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here