Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best system for a beginner?

Posted by jaybuster Colorado (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 21:51

I've spent two days reading about hydroponics (when I should have been working!). The big question I have is:

In your opinion which system is best for a beginner?

Some factors to consider:
1) The system will be outside.
2) The less maintenance (eg cleaning) the better.
3) I'd be happy growing anything from tomatoes to lettuce.

I was already to start building some Bato buckets, but I read where someone had horrible problems with algae.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best system for a beginner?

Deep water culture is the way to go for its ease of setup and operation.
If you're just breaking into it, you'll need a 5 gallon bucket(with a lid), an air pump, some air stones and connection hoses, a net pot (or two) and some aquarium gravel. Other than the net pots, you can buy all that stuff at wally.
The most expensive piece will be your air pump. don't scrimp on that either. wally has a nice dual output for about $20 that I use.
total setup will run under $40 (nutrient solution excluded) and will grow some mighty fine tomatoes and peppers.
Order your nutrients online and have them send a handful of 2" net pots at the same time. (they're dirt cheap)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here