Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit_n_rick

Need help - Aquaponics Question

brit_n_rick
13 years ago

We are gathering info to setup an aquaponics system. We will be using an old above-ground pool (approx 7500 gal) for the fish. I have read a lot of info online about these systems... but I still have a few questions.

#1. Pump specs? Any recommendations on the size pump that I need? We don't plan to grow that many fish - only about 100 max. Is there a specific gallons per hour that is recommended? We would love to get a pump that is solar-powered to cut down on elect costs... but most of the cheap solar pumps are small fountain pumps and I'm certain those would be way too small. What are you using for your systems? What do you recommend? *If you do use an electric pump - approx how much is the cost to run the pump for the year?

#2. How large of grow-beds do we need? I understand that there is supposed to be a 1:1 ratio. However - with only 50 - 100 fish at any given time - and using such a large pool - I would assume that we would not need as much growbed space. (versus housing 7500 fish)

#3. Last question - Can my kid swim in the pool with the fish? My husbands' daughter visits every other weekend and has already said she wants to jump in when the pool is done. So - basically about 4 days per month - there will be an 8 year old splashing around with the fish. Anything that we should worry about?

Thank You!