Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edurink

pvc net house

edurink
18 years ago

One big problem here in the tropics are insects. Hydroponics plants are extremely prone to attacks. This being the case, plant protection is imperative. There are many ways of doing this. Some use sticky materials like fly paper and insect traps. Others use home made "sprayable" concoctions usually made of spices. Still others use insecticides. Lastly, to some, physical barriers such as greenhouses, screened houses, net houses, etc. provide the much needed protection. They cost more but for those who have the skill, talent and inclination, some types are easy to construct. When feasible physical barriers like those mentioned make a good choice. An advantage among others of the net house is that it requires minimum of maintenance. Incidentally, this is not available in the market. It is strictly homemade. The only things to buy are PVC pipes and fittings plus the net and/or plastic cover.

The net house is easy to construct using PVC pipes. It is trouble-free and provides very effective protection against insects. An added benefit is that is serves as a shield from harsh weather. In the tropics, the monsoon rains cause a lot of damage to the fragile hydroponics plants. Furthermore, the system gets flooded with rain water. To minimize this, simply spread a transparent plastic sheet over it. In colder climates, a fitted transparent plastic cover can be used to keep the inside warm using a suitable heating device. The net house can be dismantled easily and stored up in case you feel you do not need it anymore.

Inside the net house shown are (two) 11 bottle planters and towards the back is a flood and drain system made of an old porcelain sink (not seen). The net house dimensions = 3 ft. W x 6 ft. L x 4.5 ft. H

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1004992}}

Comments (6)

• utsharpie
    18 years ago

if anything hydro plants are less prone to insects since their roots are in water and insects need air to breathe, but nice idea on the net house

• edurink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

utsharpie,

Thanks for the insight. The insects I am referring to here are the airborne ones ... flying insects. The nagging ones I get are white flies and leafminers. I agree that insects that attack the roots have no chance or at best, minimal chance.

• utsharpie
    18 years ago

cool, but hydro plants arent more vulnerable to flying,crawling,walking insect attack than soil.

• utsharpie
    18 years ago

if anything they are less since there isnt any soil for certain insects to live in.

• hald
    18 years ago

I'm growing tomatoes and peppers outdoors using ebb and flow and white fly is a problem. The net house is a great idea. Where do you buy the netting and what is it made of?
    -Hal

• edurink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hal,

The net I have here is a standard single bed mosquito net. In fact I built the PVC frame using those dimensions. Many of the homes here in the tropics use mosquito nets and they are easily available. In your case, it probably might be difficult to find ready-made mosquito nets. Although you can try shops that sell camping gear. Another way is to have it sewn or sew it yourself. Some hardware shops have nets and screens for windows. Some of these nets are soft like fabric and are just right for the purpose. If you know your dimensions, purchase the amount you need. Fabric shops also have nets. Nylon nets are easier to work with. They are soft durable and the edges do not fray or ravel. The net I have is pretty much like a large bag or sack thatÂs easy to put over the frame and take out.

You mentioned that you grow tomatoes. In which case, you might require a bigger net house.

HereÂs a tip about the whiteflies. I used to have that problem. In one of the forums on insect pests, one suggestion is to use a mild mixture of dishwashing fluid or baby shampoo, like 1 tsp. to a gallon of water. The effect on the whiteflies is like that of an oil spill on the water birds. The water repellant quality of the feather is lost with oil or soap compound. The result, the whiteflies are immobilized. The plants are not affected. If you want to play safe, spray the plants with plain water afterwards.

Ed