Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient concentration(EC) and root mass

Posted by carb none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:49

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone here has observations regarding the relation of EC and root mass of lettuce or similar veg.

If so, does the plant produce more roots in lesser concentration and less roots in higher concentration?

In my experience, my plants produce really long tap roots at 1.5EC. while some of the images i've seen out there have roots that are somewhat compact and short in DWC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient concentration(EC) and root mass

I think the plant produces more roots when the nutrients are too low. Just like searching for water, they search for nutrient and need to grow bigger and increase their surface area to absorb enough nutrients. If the nutrients are the correct amount, the plant can put more energy into growing leaves, flowers and fruit, instead of roots. That is my thoughts/experience, would like to hear what others have experienced.

o

Chiles, at least, grow roots on their own schedule pretty much independent of nutrient concentration.

photo crop6566.jpg

o

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 8:41

Is that Rapunzel going down the stairs?

o

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 8:45

Based on an experiment, I have noticed more dense roots when there is a lot more oxygen present, so that's one thing maybe my plants aren't getting enough O2. I'm sure there's a lot more factors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here