Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can i use perlite in dwc

Posted by sappytreetree none (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 0:39

i dont real want to go buy any more hydroton and i have a big bag of the chuncky peright setting around would this work ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can i use perlite in dwc

As long as it's large enough that it wont fall through the slats in the baskets, why not? The water level wont be so high that the perlite will wind up floating.

o

Just use expanded clay? It can be reused if you wash it down with a bleach/water combo after every few months or so after harvesting.

o

Or boiling hydroton will kill most of your problems bacteria.
But yeah, perlite should work.

o

"But yeah, perlite should work."

You sure about that?

o

"You sure about that?"

Why wouldn't it? Perlite is a well known hydroponic growing medium (same with vermiculite). They both will float, thus it wont work well in a flood and drain system. But in a water culture system (deep water or not), the baskets don't hanging down more than about 25% into the water at most, and in a lot of cases not at all. So unless the water level is set to high so too much of the basket is submerged, there's no problem of the perlite wanting to float.

o

Little tip: Put something over the medium to keep it from getting light. Otherwise it will get algae pretty fast. Perlite seems to be an algae magnet. You can cut a circle or square from a black plastic bag and put around the stem, for example. Perlite works, but if you didn't already have it on hand I would suggest not buying any. It's a little expensive and there are cheaper media that work perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here