Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient Overload, what to get for vegetable garden

Posted by Shifty2112 ca (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 1:13

Ok, so I go in the local hydroponics store and looking at all the nutrients, asking a few questions, told the store employee I am looking to grow tomatoes, Strawberries, Lettuce and some herbs like Basil, Parsely and etc... I picked up some Aqua Flakes A & B. on second week now with it. Cucumbers are taking off from seed and the tomatoes roots are starting to grow pretty good. Strawberries struggling, but I think because my PH level was too high. I moved them into the same system as the cucumber to see if that is better.

Now, my question, I am looking at all these different additives, things to add to enhance the plant growth and etc... Now, it seems like this stuff is more directed toward the Medical you know what plant. I am not interested in growing that :) Is all this stuff in the store pretty much directed toward that line of plants? Is it really needed for my vegetable garden. I also went to a open house today at the store and some vendors were there, asking questions, I had the feeling they really did not think I was growing stuff you eat and not smoke. The amount of people there and the looks of most of the people seemed I was not in a garden show for vegetable growers if you know what I mean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient Overload, what to get for vegetable garden

Go to your state Land Grant University and search Hydroponic Vegetables. Most of the Information will be for Commercial operations, But you should Gleam enough Info to stat away from Hydro store Fertilizer.

My university recommends 2 parts Triple 20 to one part Episode salts at 800PPM and 6.5 pH. I am doing Dutch buckets and it works for me. I bought a pH meter and EC meter(PPM) from E bay pretty cheap and they work good.

Strawberries I am thinking use a 9-15-30 Blend, But look for yourself because I don't grow Strawberries.

Triple 20 is a standard Green House Blend with Minors. There are many Brands on the market and they are all the same. Jacks, Peters, K Gro, and Even Miracle Gro are some of those Brand Names. I buy an off brand in 25 lb bags for $ 19.50 plus tax. 4 pound of Miracle Gro is like $ 12.00. Same stuff different name.

One thing I will add. MMJ forums have a lot of very knowledgeable people. You don't have to grow it to learn from those people. Between that a University Website you should find all your questions.

o

southern agriculture and pesticides. makes around 4000 gallons. Also, calcium nitrate and epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) are added.. Bottom line is around 2 to 3 cents a gallon.

This post was edited by chuck on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:14

o

I will second Southern Ag as a good supplier. I know for a fact they supply the Commercial Strawberry Growers in Ruskin Fla.

BTW there was a Bumper crop this year and Strawberries are Cheap right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here