Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray vs. Immersion Systems

Posted by jtimc7 TX (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 1:18

I am just learning about hydroponics-aeroponics.

What are the pros and cons of systems that spray water on to the plant stems/roots vs. a system that immerses the stems/roots in water that has a fish tank-type areator pump putting air into the water (like the OxyClone?)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray vs. Immersion Systems

"a system that immerses the stems/roots in water that has a fish tank-type areator pump putting air into the water (like the OxyClone?)" Or deep water culture is more forgiving as in the case of a power cut or a failure in the airpump the plant will last as long as rootrot sets in a failure in a aeroponic system may be fatal within hours in hot weather. A true aeroponic system provides more oxygen and hence will result in faster growth with all other things being equal, don't think I have come across any experiments though, has anyone else? Not all plants do well in a DWC system (plants that hate wet feet) but I am pretty sure all plants will do well in a true aeroponic system. Thanks my take on it anyway.

o

for someone just exploring the world of hydro, stick with a deep water culture (DWC) system initially. true aero is very dependable (see other threads here) but does involve more upfront cost. a simple DWC system can be set up for something in the range on $30-$40 USD (assuming the sun as a source of light) and will yield good results. grow something like tomatoes, peppers, or herbs to see if you like it and to learn a bit more before expanding on your new found hobby.

o

I'm with grizzman on this, though you can build a simple system for $20 or less. Once you get the basics of hydro down (maintaining the prper pH and PPM, mixing nuits, starting healthy seedlings), you can try the more complicated systems.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here