Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_formulas

Ghost in the machine (or the nutrient reservoir)?

lucas_formulas
13 years ago

Haven't you guys noticed that this forum recently has got a smart ghost in the nutrient reservoir (or somewhere in the system), that goes through multiple threads and under a couple of different user names (as it seems) and spreads "great wisdom" all over the place? Or should I more like say rather obvious things alternated with various diversionary tactics to add "whatever" at the end of forgotten threads. I don't know about others, but I find it rather annoying to see these actually superficial and unnecessary "concluding speeches" at the end of a multitude of threads.

Comments (22)

• grizzman
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think most people don't realize that everything after the first page is usually several months old and/or they don't bother looking at the original post date before replying.
    But yeah, it is kind of annoying.

• lucas_formulas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have no problem with the fact that some people's "timing" may not be exactly good, or if they occasionally don't realize that the thread is kinda old. Even if some fellas really have something interesting, consistent, new or important to add to some older thread, that's fine as well. But going systematically through dozens of threads and just add a two liner with either stuff that has already been explained extensively, or adding some not actually accurate or plausible closing speech, - that's kinda ANNOYING. And on top of that it really LOOKS LIKE if someone would use a couple of (actually similar sounding) usernames for the purpose. ;-)

• cheri_berry
    13 years ago

**rolls eyes** Now I know what you guys are talking about. I always go to the end and woke my way up so I wasn't sure what you meant. It's pretty sad (and freakin LAME) that someone feels so inadequate that they need to make up new accounts just to prove their 'point'.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

It's not inadequacy. It's a tactic to get traffic to their site. I'm guessing it's a combo of hoping people will go to the sub domains and an attempt to establish back links to increase page ranking with search engines.

Just to be clear, I want to make sure we are talking about humic_acid, hydroponics_supply, and fulvic_acid - all of which have links to the same site with different sub domains.

• bbrush
    13 years ago

joe.jr317 yeah right on all counts.

• lucas_formulas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wasn't that my exact guess in the first place?
    I can detect those guys from a dozen web pages away without checking any subdomains LOL...

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

Add hydroponic_gardening to that list.

Yep, Luc, you did guess it in the first place. No doubt about that. Of course, this isn't your first username, either. At least your change wasn't from trying to scam the system, though. However, it was because you felt unappreciated and ganged up on. Now, you do present great info and don't seem to be near as rude to people that disagree with you as before, although I noticed someone else (ohman?) pointed out that you've been kicked off other sites for it. I figure I'll just let Jean-Luc go and try some refreshing Lucas. But, the irony that YOU are the one to start this thread is a little too good to pass up.

• hardclay7a
    13 years ago

A politician once said "It doesn't matter what they're saying, as long as they're talking about me." I feel these spamsters are best ignored. Bad mouthing them only seems to increase the curiosity of others who then check out their websites giving them what they want. Publicity. But yes, it's annoying.
    ~Ken~

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

I agree, Ken, to an extent. The only thing is, my curiosity was piqued by another thread that seemed suspicious. It was the one where the Advanced Nutrient guys are slamming Sunlight Supply. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read this thread (and I feel a little stupid for it). By then I had already gone to their website thanks to the username hydroponic_supply.

• lucas_formulas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not a bad thing to at least sometimes being on the same page... LOL

But this forum was never and will probably never become my first choice for several reasons. 1. All unmoderated forums suffer badly from spam, animosities and personal vendettas that follow. 2. The local alpha males's back stabbing seem even worse here than elsewhere. 3. The discrepancy between the few knowledgeable and experienced members versus many people who think it was good enough to repeat all the misconceptions and myths there are, is not helping anyone. 4. Worst of all are probably people who sit their PhD with Google in a few weeks time and then come back "in force" to make a difference and some lost dogfights even. Take it easy Joe!

Anyway, all this isn't exactly making me feel comfortable here and doesn't make me bet all my money on this place either. Greystroke was right once: this is an amateur place and it should stay that way. But well, unfortunately with all the smart-assing, the within the party opportunism and back stabbing and other tiresome habits that apparently go along with such a place ;-)

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

Well, I guess I take back the "not near as rude" comment since you feel a need to prove me wrong on it. You win. Certainly no need to attack the site in general. Especially since it was only me that pointed out the irony of the thread. I, by no means, speak for the others on this site. We all know that the site has some shortcomings, but unless you have a better forum you are running, you really have no grounds for complaining about how it's run. I have a few websites (2 active). The one that is not for my business, but for a kids science organization I run, is very difficult for me to keep up with sometimes. But, since nobody else wants to do it, I do it at my leisure. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep up with a forum, let alone on a site with many other forums on it.

No doubt, a moderator would be nice. I nominate Grizzman, but I doubt he wants that job. He has, however, been nice enough to politely let me know when I need to tone things down in a private e-mail, so I am confident he would be good at it. He may even comment on me stoking the fire here, in fact. He'd probably be in the right, too.

Obviously, you have developed quite the little fan club under the latest name, here. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said, you do present some good info. It's unfortunate that you get so obviously upset at those that dare to disagree with you, but we all have our quirks, right?

There is certainly no reason to attack those that share their opinion as you do in 3 and 4. Now that was a fine example of a superiority complex if I ever saw one. As you point out, it's an amateur place.

Who is this local alpha male?

• lucas_formulas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joe, you did pick quite a few fights here before I even subscribed to this forum, didn't you? Thus, are you really the holy man of the hour that has the good right, credit and luxury to use that kind of irony? Or does one part of your "coming back in force campaign" consists in controlling your temper much better to give a good impression first, before provoking me again and eventually hitting me hard underhand?

The local alpha males that wanted to get rid of me and were repeatedly trying to discredit me ever since I am posting in this forum, were greystroke, grizzman and you of course. There was a time when you did stick together (alternatively) no matter what, for that very purpose. Not missing a single occasion to provoke or discredit me, - didn't you guys do that like for a living for some time?

What do you expect from people when repeatedly provoking and trying to discredit them with all tricks? That he/she holds still and/or agrees with you? Or is that a way of provoking and expecting others to finally loose their temper - and ironically call them rude and equipped with poor social skills afterwards? Isn't that the usual way of trapping and getting rid of people who actually may compromise the dominant position of some?

Greystroke gave up early and you a little later, grizzman guarded the trench and perhaps thought that I may serve better as a "Junior associate" as an enemy. And now you're giving the impression (after your come-back) of negotiating with me while holding a kidney digger in your back and 'scanning' for a week point or another you missed last time. That isn't only in my head, right - although you'll never admit it - I suppose? ;-)

You can always give the impression of being more polite, diplomatic, negotiating, even showing some understanding - but you'll probably never pass the back stabber smell test with any objective person that is not impressed, because familiar with the use of such rhetorical and mobbing manoeuvres.

These are the things what I really call nasty, ANNOYING and tiring. It's not the (entire) place or forum that I attack of course as it obviously hasn't done anything wrong.

"It's not the gun that is dangerous but the black heart of some marines!"

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

Do you have any idea how incredibly paranoid and dramatic you sound?

No, I didn't "pick quite a few fights". Actually, just before the time you signed on as Jean Luc, there were a few others that were being complete jerks if challenged at all. A new person would ask a question and someone would suddenly belittle them for not doing some research first. Or someone would pose a suggestion and someone else would belittle that person for making what was perceived as an idiotic suggestion. One lady started belittling people for questioning LED technology and backed it up with a radish experiment. Problem is, she got really nasty to people for questioning her resources. That's the one that really brought me out of my shell and I got so fed up with these people ruining such a great forum that I started pushing back. Others wanted to be polite and wait until those people moved on. One person e-mailed me and asked why I suddenly started doing that as it seemed out of character. He's still on here occasionally if he wants to chime in.

I came back after a few months of leave from the site for not being able to deal with some jerks without fighting back. Let's face it. It was shortly after you signed back up under the current name and I decided to stop signing in and having your and my arguments dominate the site. Especially since I noticed others were taking your lead and being jerks to new comers, too. Then I made an embarrassing mistake a couple of months ago. I saw hardclay (I think, maybe someone else) post something I misunderstood as being a jerk. That was totally my fault. I came in expecting jerks and steeled myself against it therefore becoming exactly what I had a problem with. Guess what. . . Grizzman put me in the right place with reason. (I'd like to point out that I also had really bad blood sugar levels when I posted on that thread, which always causes me to be aggressive, and I intend to refrain from posting when in that state again.) That is one huge difference between you and me, though. I made a mistake and I can admit it.

I'm surprised you just threw Grizzman under the bus. He's the one that stood up for you.

I'm not negotiating with you on anything, Luc. You have nothing to offer me, except some ideas on new set-ups maybe. I can't trust your info to be accurate. Your previous inclination to make up answers when "I don't know" was the right response and belittle anyone that gave a better one challenging yours led me to realize you are in these forums for people to look up to you. It's an attention thing. Hey, we all need acceptance from somewhere. I'm fine with it coming from my wife and kids and the families that are a part of the kids group I run. Real life people. You need it to not only come from a website, but be focused on you completely. Otherwise, the person runs the risk of belittlement and apparently being called a "backstabber".

Your forum looks nice. Don't worry, I have absolutely no intention of ever trying to sign on to it as I now know who runs it (thank you urbangardenfarmer). Good luck with it.

If you don't mind, let's keep this personal level back and forth thing on this thread so we don't go ruining others.

• ohman11
    13 years ago

Joe JR Check out this site, Lucy has been banned from it because of the same crap. He logs in under many different accounts and does nothing but pick fights, it is littered with his nastiness . I wish people would
    see Lucy for what he is.
    http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/

• georgeiii
    13 years ago

"It's Georgeiii! lol "

An Alha Male in general, yes, but here in the Hydroponic forum you guy haven't believed a word I've said. As for backing stabbing, not me friend I like my injuries to be up front and personal without doubt who it's for. No, no, Ladies and Gentlemen don't come into the waters of The Hydroponic Garden unless your really ready, even then take a life jacket.

• cheri_berry
    13 years ago

Georgii, I don't think anyone is not believing you. For me, its more along the lines of how WELL IT WORKS. Like I said, anyone can grow in plain water, but it wont produce hardly anything if at all. I had a houseplant in only water for about a year and a half and it thrived. But most of us are growing veggies which we want to produce. Why not give the plants what it needs in order to get that.
    And THAT is the question you keep avoiding. Yes you can do it, but why would you want just the bare minimum?

• grizzman
    13 years ago

Hmmm. I've never been called an alpha male before.
    But if my understanding is correct, there can be only one alpha male and if that were the case, wouldn't myself, Joe, and Greystoke all be fighting constantly for the top spot?
    And with claims of having a "junior associate" under my wing I should have a hitler complex in no time.
    And yes I have stood up for Jean-Luc in the past, but I've also pointed out the error in his assertions. I don't pick favorites. If I think you're wrong I say so. If I think you're right I'll agree, compliment, or expound upon it. If what you say makes sense, I'll look further into it and decide if the information is useful to me.
    The reality is anybody can get online and assert they're an authority on anything so we shouldn't be so naive as to believe it. We should question the person who make such claims. I seldom give hard and fast instructions. I usually put out an idea that a little common sense can expand on. I try to present things that way because I know I'm not an authority on hydroponics. I don't believe anyone on here is.
    Also, I don't think one should come to a forum where people are new to hydroponics and try to rip them apart that what they're doing is wrong. Or even that what others are suggesting is wrong. The reality is plants are pretty forgiving things to grow. I'm extremely negligent in my systems and have had great results. To claim that anybody who doesn't do things the way you would do them is wrong wreaks of apathy and vanity. I don't know where everybody else is, but where I'm at those are not very endearing qualities.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

"I try to present things that way because I know I'm not an authority on hydroponics. I don't believe anyone on here is."

However, I am quite the authority on how to screw it up. Plenty of experience under my belt on that!

• georgeiii
    13 years ago

Cheri

"Georgii, I don't think anyone is not believing you. For me, its more along the lines of how WELL IT WORKS. Like I said, anyone can grow in plain water, but it wont produce hardly anything if at all. I had a houseplant in only water for about a year and a half and it thrived. But most of us are growing veggies which we want to produce. Why not give the plants what it needs in order to get that.
    And THAT is the question you keep avoiding. Yes you can do it, but why would you want just the bare minimum? "

How do you see what I do as bare minium. There's plenty of pictures showing other wise. Ya'll are of the belief that this won't work so you just denie it's existence. But please continue. We're now at the start of the season, let's see at the end. Oh, damn, I forgot ya'll are in denial. That won't work either.

• grizzman
    13 years ago

the apostrophe goes between the y and a (i.e. y'all) as its a conjunction of you and all. sheesh. wannabe southerner :D

• cheri_berry
    13 years ago

**FACEPALM**

• willardb3
    13 years ago

Yawl, y'all.......