Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_one_on_me

Where to start?

plant-one-on-me
15 years ago

I have a small tomato seedling called Garten Perle that I would like to try in a 5 gal bucket. I have read through quite a few posts on this forum but need a simple FAQ. Is there one I can look at? I am looking at placing the bucket on the patio and using the DWC. Anyone have any simple, complete instructions for the DWC? Any good links? Thanks in advance, Kim

Comments (5)

• plant-one-on-me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I should add that the tomato is grown in Miracle Grow potting mix. Is this ok to use as my first time plant?

• plant-one-on-me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, going to be asking a lot of questions LOL. I need to keep this project as inexpensive as possible so any advice on the very basics I need are appreciated. Is it possible to get this going for about $10? I have different size buckets, an aquarium pump and stone, a strawberrie basket, some styrofoam (if a floating system would work instead), and various options for tubing.

I know I will need to check pH, not sure how much the test strips run and some kind of nutrients. Is there a way to incorporate some goldfish just for fun and to keep moscitos away if doing the floating system?

Again, thanks for any advice. Kim

• grizzman
    15 years ago

This was my basic DWC system from last year.
    {{gwi:1005621}}
    the black thing in the middle was a rainbird 90° sprayer head I got at lowes for about $2. it is connected to a water pump sitting in the nutrient solution by 1/2" dia pvc pipe.I used the pump to keep the root damp until the extended into the nutrient solution.
    3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket is approx 2/3 -3/4 full.
    The white line on the bottom left is connecting an air stone to an air pump. after the plant was big enough, I quit using the sprayer and just aerated the solution.
    Those roots are from an early girl tomato plant. It grew to about 5 feet tall and I topped it several times before taking it out.
    Except for the pumps, that whole system was probably under $10. the water pump was about $20 though. as was the air pump.
    One problem I had (which I have since found how to remedy) was changing out the solution. you really need a drain in the bottom. Until recently, every drain scheme I'd tried, leaked. Not anymore. Here's how. at lowe's, buy a male and a female threaded end of pvc. the female come with a gasket inside. also buy a black oring the fits snugly around the outside of the male end. they're over in the area where you get sink faucet parts. you'll need about 1.1/2" of PVC pipe and and end cap. assemble in this order.
    From the inside of the bucket. male piece through bucket, gasket on male piece, female piece tightened down, 1.1/2" piece of PVC, and end cap. you'll need to cut/drill a hole that approximates the size of the male threaded end.
    Once you put it all together, simply remove the end cap when you want to drain the bucket. replace cap to seal.

miracle grow potting mix is not ideal, but with DWC, it'll probably do. you can either rinse the dirt off the roots and repot in an inorganic media or leave it and take your chances they're are too many funky bacteria in the dirt.

straight hydroponics, i don't believe, supports fish. you'd need to look into aquaponics for that. and it will cost a lot more.
    don't use a raft system for tomatoes, they're really too heavy a plant.
    pH strips can be bought at aquarium stores. I believe its as simple as dip and compare colors.
    you really should just buy some hydro nutrients. do a search on this forum for 'floramato'. you can get a 1.1/2 lb bucket for about $10 which will support one 5 gallon bucket for almost forever. you may( or may not) also need to research various ways to adjust your pH.
    And finally, without an EC meter, you'll need to follow the guideline on the nutrient box and change your nutrient solution every week or two at most.

• grizzman
    15 years ago

just cause I like the pic:
    {{gwi:999342}}

• plant-one-on-me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you this is what I needed. I am the type that needs detailed directions...yes I can follow directions, just not picture things very well in my head. I am going to look up the floramato. Can it be used on a floating lettuce system as well? Kim

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz