Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Truncheon question!

Posted by denalilofts 5 AK (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 07 at 12:48

Ok guys this is a dumb question but I'm not exactly sure how to read my meter. The guy at the garden store that sold it to me didn't seem to know much more than I. I have a brand new Bluelab truncheon. It has one row of lights and 4 scales on it. The scales are ppm (ec X 700),cf, ec, and ppm (ec X 500). The meter is working fine I just don't know which ppm to use? The ppm (ec X700) has a scale from 140 up to 2520, cf is 2 to 36, ec is .2 to 3.6 and ppm (ec x 500) is from 100 to 1800. I just took a reading and the light flassed at 1120, 16, 1.6 and 800. What is my ppm? I'm growing tomatoes and having some problems. Any advice?

Phil in Alaska

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Truncheon question!

I have the truncheon also, it's great. The problem actually is with the ppm scales, how do you know which scale is being quoted when they tell you what the ppms should be. Therefore I don't pay any attention to ppm, I use a guide list that tells me the recomended CF or EC that way there is no confusion. They are also easier numbers to write down if you are keeping logs or notes.

The ppm scales are really only guesses anyway.

I know this probably doesn't really answer your question but most ppm lists I have seen also give either cf or ec so hopefully you can find some references to help you.

o
RE: Truncheon question!

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking in a tomato hydro book and it had the ec range for tomatos at 2 to 3.6 so that will most certainly work out better.

Phil in Alaska

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here