Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leeds78_gw

Coco peat container tomatoes

leeds78
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as well Hydroponics, I'm trying to grow tomatoes in coco peat containers,. tomatoes trees are grown but it more than 3 weeks still small trees 4 inches.

what I'm doing is poring nutrients every 2 days, but no enough sunlight,

some time I see fungus in coco peat why is that,

kindly advice.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Ricone
    10 years ago

My best guess is you have too much Coco peat and your roots are staying Too wet. I do drip and expanded Clay pellets or Dutch buckets and my tomatoes plants are over foot tall in 3 weeks.

• Ethanhh
    10 years ago

Coco peat already has a high water holding capacity, so it does not needs much water for the roots growth. I think the roots are staying too wet. Also, since sunlight is essential for the plant growth, it should get proper exposure to sunlight, as well. You can try it, I'm sure you'll have a good yield.

• Atish
    10 years ago

why don't you drill 4-5 holes in your container to drain the excess nutrient solution?

• leeds78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for alll advice, after i kept in sun it grown, then started blooms and they diedmwihiut any fruit, im so sad.

• leeds78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, pot is full of cocopeat , i read hydroponics always need water . Is not correct' also there are wholes in the pot.

• Shaheed Ghany
    6 years ago

i have successfully grown tomatoes in coco peat containers and have achieved great results, if you follow this regime you should do good as well.

first and most important, invest in a ppm and ph meter.

i use a mix of 75%coco fiber and 25%perlite you may add more perlite if desired. don't exceed more than 50% perlite.

for determinate varieties use a 2 gallon or 3 gallon container. make holes 2inches from the bottom around the sides.

for indeterminate no less than a 5 gallon container and make holes about 3 inches from the bottom around the sides.

take off the first set of leaves and bury the transplant about 2 inches above the leaves you took off.

water everyday with 1/4 strength nutrient mix (about 800ppm) about 1/2 liter of nutrient solution would be sufficient. never mind if it runs out through the holes. water them still everyday. Maintain a ph of around 6

make sure the plant is getting at least 6 hours of sunlight every day.

as the plant grows about two weeks increase the strength of the nutrients to half strength. (1500ppm) and increase watering to 1 liter per day and continue

after two weeks again you should start to see buds, increase the strength of nutrients to around 2000ppm.

lastly as flowers bloom increase strength to 3000ppm and fruits should start forming. you may also foliar spray with a mix of 2 tablespoons calcium nitrate to one gallon water every 5 days so no blossom end rot happens. plants will not burn with calcium dont worry.

mix of nutrients are as follows, per 2gallon.

1 tablespoon masterblend or hydroponic nutrient.

1 tablespoon calcium nitrate

2 teaspoons epsom salts

add more water to this mixture to bring it to 1/4 strength for transplants.

all the best.