Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Local hydro store guy talked me out of trying hydroponics

Posted by guillo (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 13:43

I planted some Jolokia's chilli plants on pots and they are not growing at all. So I am thinking of going the hydro way with a 5 gal bucket. I just want to grow 1 plant for now. I went to a local hydroponic store and the guy talked me out of it. He said that there is a lot of maintenance that goes into it. That the Ph goes out of wack every day so the waters Ph has to be tested daily. Is this true or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Local hydro store guy talked me out of trying hydroponics

I am very LAZY! If this were a difficult hobby I doubt I would enjoy it. Just 1 plant is a great way to get into it. I only check my PH once a week.

o

I takes probably all of 30 seconds to check the water pH.
I only check mine once a week or whenever I'm adding water or nutrient.
Unless you've got stuff in your water that keeps it from stabilizing, its not really a problem.
Also, using a lot of water helps buffer any problems you may have. say using 5 gallons for one plant versus 6 ounces.
So again, don't sweat it. you'll enjoy it tremendously.

o

I have to agree with the others. I too am lazy. The only time I check ph is when I make the nutrient solution once a week (and I only test what I'm making). You do have to drain the system every few weeks to a month because salt apparently builds up in the system.

Overall I spend maybe 5 minutes a day (except when I mix nutrients in which case it is 30 minutes.)

I'm growing a bunch of stuff including watermelon (I have yet to get a fruit from the watermelon yet though).

One pepper plant should be little effort. My biggest issue is the cost of light and electricity.

Here is a link that might be useful: My hydroponic garden

o

You can spend from 5 min to all day in hydro garden: 5 mins is all that's required for even a pretty big hydro garden.

Hydro takes a lot less time than a dirt garden......

o

Will 6500k power compact lights from home depot be enough light for a chilli plant. I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 of these lights or do I have to use something stronger. Another question, how about nutrients. I see a lot of different brands does it matter what brand I use?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here