Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
widespreadpanic_gw

Tomato leaves 'coiled up'?

widespreadpanic
13 years ago

I have several plants in my hydroponic ebb and flow system that have older leaves curling slightly upwards, and new growth rolling or spiraling together.

New growth spiraling/coiled up.

Some leaves also curl upwards, but no sign of yellowing or spots:

I am obviously worried that this is a disease/virus. I'm growing heirloom tomatoes such as Cherokee purple, Green Zebra, Brandywine, Black Krim, although pictured is a Better Boy hybrid.

Could it be that my watering schedule of every 2 hours during the day is too much?

Details:

My E.C. is 2.0, my P.h. stays around a 6, my nutrient solution is kept refrigerated at a constant 67 degrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greene Tomato

Comments (3)

• widespreadpanic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a message from another board, I think this guy has it right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RandyG:

"These young plants are getting too much nutrition, especially nitrogen. The overly thick stems, balling of the foliage in the top of the plant, and what looks like flowers that are not developing properly due to the over vegetative state are all indications. I would put them on straight water for a few days and then when you go back to the fertilizer solution maybe use half strength until you start to get some fruit set and development of the fruit. Then you could probably go back to full strength if that is not too excessive. Also, I think you are probably watering more than needed at this stage of growth. When you have them on constant feed with lots of water and lots of light, the plants transpire a lot and take up more fertility than they need."
    End of Randy's response.

My reply:

Thanks for your help, I think you are DEAD ON! I recently upped my nutrient E.C. from 1.2 to a 2.0.

I did this b/c a tech at General Hydroponics said I should, but he also asked if my plants had fruit. I like a dummy said yes, but that's not the whole picture.

Due to this being my first time hydroponic grow, logistical problems were encountered causing me to have variably aged plants in my system.

My oldest plants do have fruit and haven't been affected; but, the problems are being exhibited on plants that were placed into the system later and they are younger and DO NOT have fruit.

My reservoir change is due in a couple of days and I plan on reducing my E.C. back to a 1.3.

I'm also thinking of tinkering with my watering schedule to see how long it takes for my plants to begin to wilt and then adjust my watering so that they are flooded a little bit before the wilt begins.

Thanks a million for your advice and I'll post an update as to what ends up happening.

THE GREENE TOMATO:
    http://thegreenetomato.wordpress.com

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

I just responded to this elsewhere, too, though not on the one Randy replied on. How many sites did you post this to? I said pretty much the same thing as Randy except that I don't think you are watering too often. Especially if you reduce the EC and transition to bloom.

• widespreadpanic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ Joe: I posted my problem to four forums looking for help. I figured the more opinions I had the better?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me. I think you're exactly right and I plan on implementing your advice today.

I have been flushing the system with water at every reservoir change (10-14 days) but didn't think to test the flush water to see how much residue there was.

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County