Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes in a pond

Posted by weirdtrev Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 15:41

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere but for some odd reason I can't view the threads in this forum right now. I have 2 ponds (preformed plastic ones) and I was thinking about trying to grow a tomato in there just to see what happens. I have a little floating basket to keep the tomato in one spot and keep the fish from eating the roots. The plant itself will be growing on the ground outside of the pond. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have any thoughts? Basically I want to try my hand at very lazy hydroponics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes in a pond

I'll bite.

I would wonder if the dissolved oxygen (DO) would be enough to support roots? When plants are grown with submerged roots (DWC / deep water culture) great lengths are taken to ensure the water is saturated with oxgyen using pond/tank aerators. In DWC you can never have too much oxygen.

How would you deliver nutrients to the plants? Tomatoes are heavy feeders and it's unlikely there is enough nutes in the pond water to support tomato plants.

--chris

o

I guess I will find out if there is enough dissolved oxygen! I have lots of anacharis to supply oxygen and I also have some fountains running. My pond likely has too many nutrients in it and that is part of the reason I want to try what I mentioned. I say this because there is a lot of algae on the sides of the pond. I fertilize my water lilies (following the recommendations)with fertilizer tablets and obviously they don't only fertilize the lilies, they dissolve into the water and make everything fertile. I don't really want a healthy thriving plant (though that would be ideal). I just want something that won't necessarily die, might produce a few fruits, and would be interesting to look at. I know hydroponics can be a lot of work and I just want to see if I can get meager results by doing nothing.

o

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I am not native english speaker or writer. But anyway.... ;-)

The idea of having some tomatoes growing in a pond is interesting - I was wondering already if such thing is possible, perhaps with other plants. In other words I was thinking of it, but not considering tomatoes.

The oxygen probem could be solved by adding a airpump (stone) near- or directly under the plants (roots)- quite easily, if there are only a couple. The major problem might be the content of fertilizer, amount of makro nutrients and especially calzium. Even if the crops are not big, if they get Blossom End Rot, that would be no fun, right?

There also is the problem of support or fixing them - therefor I would rather chose some smaller variety, even a dwarf variety. Why not floating on some (round) styroform support! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here