Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpbdrummer

trials and tribulations

bpbdrummer
13 years ago

Well after about 2 months of learning to grow hydroponic veggies, I have learned a lot. Everything was going good in my homebuilt system, two 4" PVC pipes stacked up running sort of an NFT/DWC hybrid, deeper nute levels than a regular NFT system.

I had a really nice tomato plant growing and doing really well,

it started flowering last week

and within 2 days it just crashed, leaves are soggy and wilted and it looks like it isnt getting water.

so I pulled it from the system and the roots had a covering of light brown slime on them. I added flushed the res, added peroxide to the system, cut the nute levels down, trimmed back the unhealthy roots, and put it back in hoping for the best. It's still alive but just looks bad. the flowers are still hanging on.

It's really frustrating because I'm trying to start a business growing hydroponic veggies/herbs/flowers. I think I have learned that i will be better off growing tomatoes in grow slabs on a drip line. The roots get too big in an NFT system and start clogging up the pipes.

FWIW, it's an outdoor system and I'm in Florida. I think the res temps are getting too high , according to my grow log they range between 76F and 85F, which isnt helping with the root rot situation. I was running fox farm grow big nutes at 1500ppm and PH 6.

on the other hand the cukes in the same system are doing really well, the roots are white and healthy and growing by the hour.

I guess my next move will be to rebuild the system, bury the res in the ground and shade it. eventually I plan to build a poly greenhouse and then I will look into using water chillers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooked on Ponix

Comments (5)

• bpbdrummer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry about the link, i just realized I'm not supposed to do that.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

You're not? I don't know about the actual rules, but it seems to me that if you have a website that has content as well as a store, there should be no problem. Who knows more about a subject than those whose livelihoods depend on it? Now, if you were obviously attempting to use subterfuge to drive traffic, you came off as a used car salesman, or your main intent was obviously only to use the forum as an advertising tool, I'd understand people getting irate. If someone wants an infrared thermometer to measure nute and medium temperatures, I'm sure as heck not going to send them to my competition when I know that I will give them better service and free advice on applying IR practically. I'll also direct them to my website to see what I carry. Of course, I've never had reason to do so on here.

• grizzman
    13 years ago

On my first try with hydroponics I used a DWC/NFT hydrid with similar results; some early good looking growth, then suddenly the plants went ka-pooey.
    Here is what I think happened. my water intlet (from the rez to the trough) came in at the top. Since the system always maintains a certain liquid level, that meant it drained from the top also. When this happens the aerated solution(assuming it is aerated)floats across the top of the trough without actually mingling much with the lower nutrient levels. This is called laminar flow because the fluid has a layer (or lam) that floats above a lower layer.
    The problem that develops is the lower level of nutrient solution eventually loses its oxygen and goes anaerobic causing massive root decay. Since the plants don't know better, the bulk of their root system is in the dead zone and so the plants eventually don't have a large enough root system to support the full grown plant.
    Now I can't speak to your system as I don't know what it looks like, (or rather I can't tell that well from what you posted on the other thread) but that was my first and last attempt at a DWC/NFT hydrid.

• bpbdrummer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here another pic of my little system, that is teh same tomato plant in the middle on top..two weeks prior, the growth was amazing.

i made the mistake of buying clear tubing, i was at lowes and thats all they had in the size I needed. lesson learned, it's an algae breeding ground.

my tomato plant seems to be coming back from the brink, the leaves have perked up and it's looking much better.Hopefully it comes back and at least produces some fruit

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

You have a black reservoir and you're in Florida. It seems to me that you might want to consider at least insulating and shading it or even burying it in the ground and shading the lid.

Brown roots don't always mean root rot. You can usually smell a bad smell if you have rot. Sometimes brown roots mean they are covered in salts. That will dehydrate the plant in the way you described.