Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my sad vegetables

Posted by SweetPotato222 MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 17:25

Hello, a quick intro to myself, I am a new user here on garden web, I have joined because I am currently trying to grow variety of herbs and veggies and they are struggling. =[
My boyfriend made me a hydroponics system out of pvc pipe and a 13 gallon tote (along with a water-pump and airator/stones.) The system starts and stops at the same end and using gravity drips down the pvc piping, around the elbows and back into the resevoir, where the water is re used once it is pumped back into the top of the system!

We are using 3" net baskets with fabric stuffed at the bottom. the fabric hangs down inside the tube and collects the water (wick) and the rock-wool cube (which our plants started in) sit ontop of the fabric and gain moisture form there.

We recently hung up 2 - 120 watt CFL lights. one is a VIta-lume BLUE light and one is an identical RED light. also the plants are next to 2 windows which get about half a days worth of solid light in. best spot we could find in out apt. =/

We are using a light mixture of maxi grow and mirical grow (upping doses as plants get bigger)

our pest situation is under control - minimal fungus gnats and plants are checked daily. gnats should be gone in a few days.

Our plants are sad, please if you have any ideas why I would like to hear them! Any and all advice/criticisms are encouraged! (More pictures to come soon!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my sad vegetables

Have you checked pH and PPM of both starting water and present Reservoir water. Also What is you water Temperature??? pH, PPM and Water Temperature are the 3 main factors you need to watch.

o

Your peppers don't look terrible in that picture. if you're having problems, my guess is not enough light and the crowns are too wet.

o

How much water are you moving? Is it only a trickle? Try a bigger pump that moves more water. It is also better to build a spray line through the pipe, which is just a small piece of pipe with holes in it. The water drops and splashes more, creating better aeration than just pumping it into one end.

o

Miracle grow isnt the greatest option for hydropnics. Do you have a PH tester, if your ph is too high the plants cant access the nutrient no matter how much aeration they receive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here