Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newby advice

Posted by a-mainer (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 18:29

Have started with my seedlings for tomatoes, eggplant, basil and thyme. They have rooted so I just transplanted them in the water reservoir and added the gro formula and checked the ph. I intend to keep them growing inside. Should the bottom of the root plug be immersed in the water? Are there any websites for guidance on when to change the light conditions or for other tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newby advice

What kind of system? Got pictures? What kind of plug? The rapid rooter types can touch the water, but you might let the water go down a bit from there as the roots develop. In my mind I have pictured seedlings whose roots have yet to reach the outside of the plug. It would be much like the floating plug rafts for the rapid rooters. You transplant once the roots are outside the plug. Of course, if you are using rockwool plugs, I'd say no. They get too soggy and you are more likely to lose plants to damping off.

Do you have all these in the same system?

o
RE: newby advice

You can change the light condition of your seedlings once you see true leaves coming, the change in light conditions will depend on the light requirement of the plant youre growing, although you can change the light supply of your seedlings to 18 hours as soon as they enter the vegetative stage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here