Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazndragn

Hydroponic Hibiscus

BlaznDragn
9 years ago

Hello I am new to the hydroponics scene and my main goal is cloning of hibiscus. I would also like to do citrus trees apple trees, and other items as such.
I would like to know who has actually grown any of these hydroponically?
I was also curious if you can grow a bulb plant hydroponically from a cutting like a Stargazer Lily?

Thanks

Chris

Comments (21)

• rambotex
    9 years ago

I asked a similar question in a thread below. Obviously there aren't many Hydro flower growers

• hex2006
    9 years ago

You may need to build yourself a mist propagator to assure success.
    http://www.hibiscusworld.com/BeersBook/7-Propagation.htm

• grizzman
    9 years ago

I always say any long term plant is not a good fit with hydro because of the human nature involved.
    No I have not grown any of those plants hydroponically. However I have grown enough that I just get tired of tending to, to know anything that relies on man for its long term health (and lacks the ability to remind him) is not a good choice for hydro.

• robert_1943
    9 years ago

Grizzman you are 100% correct

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Chris, you just want to clone hibiscus in hydro, not grown it in hydro long-term, right?

I'm working on the same thing. I've put together a couple of different styles of cloners and will start cuttings soon. It's hard to find info on cloning anything other than the usual, LOL.

Carol in Jacksonville

• grizzman
    9 years ago

Carol,
    Marijuana is not really the usual, just the one with the highest public profile.
    And I will point out that those guys probably have the best information available because the all come together and share their information.
    As for cloning only, I would recommend either a psuedo aero system like they sell premade in hydro stores or build yourself a real one. hext laid out the components pretty well in a post from last year (I believe) search the forum for it.

• BlaznDragn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol you are correct. I mainly just want to clone these plants and get some awesome roots on them. I was told and have read many times "If it has roots then it can be done with hydroponics." I started out with the bubbles in a sterilite tote but nothing has come thru. I am going to do a setup like that of a daisy 8 and see how that goes.

I have a question that looks like it may be a debate...do clones need light to root?
    I have read both ways on that. I also have read both ways on misting the above leaves and not misting them since the have enough humidity at the roots.

Chris

9 years ago

I built a bubble cloner and an aero cloner. I had to look up the Daisy 8 - even found a couple photos of the inside - and I think it is a simple aero with a single head. I realize that you are not purchasing the Daisy 8 - sounds like you are going to build a DIY - but I read in several places that the problem was that the Daisy pump ran hot and heated the water temperature too high and so was therefore discontinued.

I have read an awful lot about this recently and I don't know certain answers to your questions, but for my zone and humidity, I don't think above-misters or humidity domes are necessary. I read that transpiration provided to the leaves does not encourage roots.

Like you, I have seen cloners used with and without grow lights. I started mine in my bathroom which has glass bricks and no grow lights. Keeping my fingers crossed. I started hibiscus, hydrangea, Persian shield, tall pentas, brugmansia, cane begonia, red Brazilian cloak, white hypoestes and bloodleaf in my cloner yesterday. I know that quite a few of those are easy to root with other methods - I just want to compare with the cloners and see how it goes.

Good luck with yours and please post photos/updates!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: hext

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, May 17, 14 at 9:53

• hex2006
    9 years ago

If you have reasonable quality mains water with some pressure you can use that for a cloner. It will cost you a solenoid, a cycle timer and a few nozzles, Most tapwater comes out of the ground fairly cool so temps arent an issue (no pump). If its really cold you may need to use a longer length of line between the tap and the solenoid to allow it to warm up. Running the cloner drain to waste keeps everything clean/sterile. Most tapwater has a background level of chlorine you can use to advantage. Daily water usage is minimal, less than flushing a toilet once.

9 years ago

Hex2006, I'm interested! Can you post a link to the components and build instructions? I'm very familiar with Mr. Google, but what would be good search terms: "water main cloner"? "Solenoid cloner"? I'm off to check...

Thanks!
    Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, May 17, 14 at 11:03

9 years ago

Something like what is discussed here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aero Cloner...Which Sprayers??

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, May 18, 14 at 23:00

• grizzman
    9 years ago

blazing dragon:
    Light do not need roots. The issue with limitiing light and or humidity is you don't want to dry out your plant before roots sets thus keeping humidity high limits transpiration and you do want the plants to develop new roots. it has to be light enough that the plants don't waste energy stretching out for light but not do light as to warm up the area.
    Well, at least that is how I see it.

• BlaznDragn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I have my DIY Daisy 8 running as of Saturday. We shall see how things are working by wed-thur.

Grizz: I have an older ballast on but it's not close like I have seen others.

Hex: I am in the southern part of texas where the water takes a few minutes to cool off coming from the tap. You would think you had the hot water on instead.

Carol: good luck let us know how your setup works out too!

Chris

9 years ago

Chris - awesome! How many cuttings does your cloner hold? Did you set up an aero or a bubbler? If you have an aero, what submersible water pump did you buy? If you have a bubbler, what air pump did you buy?

Hex, Grizz or anyone else, I would appreciate some good info on the components and setup you described. If anyone has a link, that would be enough. I've done Google without good results. I'm sure it is operator error/ignorance.

Thanks!
    Carol

• hex2006
    9 years ago

Hi Carol
    The simplest plug and play hardware option for a mains water powered cloner is a compressor auto drain. Its just a cycle timer + solenoid combo in a small package. They come in a range of voltages and thread sizes, the best type for a cloner is 12vdc with 1/4" connections . Hook the solenoid up to the mains water supply and nozzle manifold using 1/4" reverse osmosis push type fittings and plug it in using a 12vdc power adapter. (offgrid, use a solar panel/battery combination).
    Here`s a 24v version from china for some idea of price and what they look like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Electronic-Timed-Air-Compressor-Tank-DRAIN-VALVE-24V-DC-1-2-NIB-/300944803884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item4611b5482c

9 years ago

Hex, now we're cookin' with gas! Thank you soooo much! I'll be back with more questions, I am sure. Thanks a million for heading me in the right direction.

Carol

• hex2006
    9 years ago

You`ll be needing a pressure gauge to check what your mains pressure is like..They`re a reasonably cheap item, HD, Lowes or similar places should stock them.

http://www.groworganic.com/orbit-water-pressure-gauge-fht-0200-psi.html

• BlaznDragn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol,

It is an aero setup with a fountain pump from either lowe's or home depot in a 3 gallon bucket or maybe it's a 2 gallon dunno. It holds 8 sites. We shall see how it all works out.

Chris

9 years ago

Hex, thanks for all of the info. Fortunately, I already have a water pressure gauge. One less thing to buy. Yay! :)

Chris, the air bubbler was a FAIL. It was 100% WIN for rooting brugs and cane begonias. They rooted much faster compared to other methods. However, none of the other cuttings rooted. I believe it is because I purchased an air pump that was too cheap and not really pushing enough air through the 10" stone. The cuttings didn't die but they just sat there - no roots. How are your cuttings doing?

Carol

9 years ago

Chris, when you get a chance to look at your submersible water pump, and if you like it and thought it was adequate, would be interested to know what make and model you have.

Carol

• edzone9
    7 years ago

Works well for me ..

The Hibiscus Seedling Is To The Far Right, The Two On The Left Are Plumeria Seedlings From Thailand.

ed

Ed