Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moldy strawberry roots

Posted by PatioGardener124 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 21:23

Ok so i started a hydroponic tower one tower has fern strawberries and the othr has albion strawberries. And the albion ones are moldy and musty... so i need to take the system apart... and clean it to start over.... is there a solution i can wash the roots in that will save the plants?

i was watering them 8 times a day on a timer... and i think it was too much... i actually unplugged the water pump 2 days ago and the hydronton hasnt completely dried out yet...

please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moldy strawberry roots

I don't think over watering is a problem, plants roots can be submerges in water 24/7 if they get enough oxygen. I think you may have a lack of oxygen to the roots, especially of the system is basically air tight. You'll want a source of fresh air to be able to get into the root zone.

Their may have been something introduced to your hydro system like a soil born disease as well. Most likely at least one plant was contaminated. Even when washing off the soil from roots (because the pathogens attach to the roots) it spread to all the plants once in the hydro system. Strawberry are very susceptible to soil born diseases.

The hydro shop may have something to kill the pathogens/or fungus. But I would probably just dump the nutes, flush with fresh water, dump and flush with plain water again. Then fill the reservoir with just water and use something like about 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide (H202) for every 5 gallons of water. Let that run through the system on normal cycles for 24 hours. Then flush the system with just plain water again. Then mix fresh nutrients, and add about 10-20 mL (2-4 Tsp) of H2O2 every day, or every other day for at least the first week. I recently did that with my pepper plants, and they didn't seem to be harmed at all. I even flushed it with 1 cup of bleach in 10 gallons of water, and they didn't seem any worse for ware from either.

o
RE: moldy strawberry roots

Yes the H2o2 is perfect. You could try running the water 3 times a day and see how that works.

o
RE: moldy strawberry roots1

Yes the H2o2 is perfect. You could try running the water 3 times a day and see how that works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here