Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavocado

Questions about prepara power plant - Timer?

lavocado
13 years ago

I have a Prepara Power Plant (Mini, I think), which I'm trying to set up, and I have some questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Trying to decide between growing basil and bush green beans. Would this sort of system be ideal for growing bush green beans? It would be lovely to have fresh vegetables on hand. They do have a quick maturation rate and grow only 12-18 inches or so tall, but basil seems like a safer bet. Thoughts?

2. The power plant instruction booklet recommends running the nutrient water on a timed 20 - 30 minute cycle, with a 1 hour break in between cycles. But I've seen reviews and posts by people who don't bother with timers. They just leave it plugged in all day. So, should I buy a timer? And if I don't use a timer, will my basil or green beans be die an overwatered death?

1. I've read on the board that it's not generally a good idea to use alfalfa tea or compost tea in hydroponic systems because they clog the pipes and encourage algae/bacteria growth, which ... also clog the pipes. BUT I have all this alfalfa hay (old pet supplies) at my fingertips and so I'm wondering if it would make a good nutrient if I strained it first and killed the bacteria with hydrogen peroxide, before adding it to the system? I'd rather not spend a fortune on nutrient solution.

Comments (2)

• outdoor_gardens
    13 years ago

I'll try to answer all of your questions:

First-- Growing basil using a Prepara power plant is actually your best choice because this system is most suitable for growing herbs. In fact, it is regarded as a modern herb pot that can substantially increase the growing speed of herbs such as basil with less work.

Second-- It is always safe to follow booklet instructions so you don't have to risk all your efforts. Although you are right, I have also read some reviews that it automatically dispenses nutrient to your plants so you won't have to worry about overwatering nor maintaining your plants more often, but I think it won't hurt if you follow what's written in the manual just to be safe...

Third-- You have two options here: first, you can go ahead and strain it and kill the bacteria with hydrogen peroxide, but the catch is, you may kill both the helpful and harmful organisms, thus, making it less effective as a nutrient; second, you can prevent the clogging by frequently checking on your system and cleaning it regularly.

Keep us posted :)

• Irene
    8 years ago

So, I unearthed one of these relics upon emptying a storage unit into my new place, unopened and yet to be explored (merry christmas circa 2009??). It's the mini version, and the food it came packaged with was crystalized and questionable. I replaced the food with basic hydroponic liquid food, prepped the unit, planning to attempt some Fox Cherry tomatoes to break it in. Expectations are low due to mixed reviews I have read but the unit seems well made, it lacks a timer as noted above, my system did not come with much of a manual to speak of so I am dusting for forum fossils on these Power Plants. Has anyone on here tried these in the past? Anyone still have one in rotation? I guess my next step is finding a timer that can handle several cycles a day, if it could also host a second device (my light, already in place 16/8) with its own cycle that would be sweet, I believe the main purpose in cycling this device is to not overheat its pump? Another draw back seems to be the narrow slit the plants emerg from... it's a solid piece that makes mid growth cycle disassembly pretty precarious to the plant which in turn makes it hard to clean when growing. I am thinking of employing the dremel to allow this top to be removed in two long horizontal pieces. .