Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting hydroponics

Posted by Jeevs calgary alberta, 3a? (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 22:01

Hello everyone. I'd like to start a Hydroponic Ebb and Flow system, because it seems like the most beneficial and effective, so I would like people opinions, methods and building/purchasing help. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

I'm not really sure if I got my zone correct (3a) ahah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting hydroponics

Is this for indoor or outdoor?

I wouldn't recommend E and F for outdoor grows. Too much surface area to collect rain water.

What are you planning on growing? That will determine what type of hydro system is the best.

o

you can put a lid on it to limit collection of rain water outside. I used 1/2" styrofoam then cut holes for each plant. it also acts to reduce heat gain through the medium, reduce evaporation, and keeps bugs from laying eggs in your medium.
I like EnF because, with a suitable medium, you can be pretty negligent of them and they're unlikely to dry out. on the other hand, they're heavy and you won't be moving them very often.
I built a simple frame from privacy fence boards (for the bottom) and 1x4's for the side approximately 24" x 48" then double lined the whole thing with plastic. one wrong choice I made and would recommend against was I put the drain in a corner. because of the bunching of plastic, it was very difficult to make it not leak. If I were to redo it, I would move the drain hole more to the center.
This picture shows basically how it works:

I used lava rock as a medium and only had to flood it every 4 hours or so.
Personally, I'm more a fan of NFT but I liked the EnF too.

o

Search youtube for A-frame hydroponic. We made our system based on that design, its been a challenge to regulate the flow but its working fantastically now! We also installed the dutch buckets for our tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here