Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient Issues

Posted by hydromikevt Vt (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 22:16

Hello all...I'm new to this Forum as well as hydroponics in general. I've been interested for the past couple years and finally started up my first aerospring Sunday... I'm having a couple issues though...I'm growing habaneros in Hydroton using General Hydroponics Flora series nutrient. I have hard water in my area with a ph of around 7 (using liquid test kit). After getting everything together and running with the ph adjusted to around 6 everything seemed great, the plants even perked up a bit! The next day i went to check the ph of the nutrient and noticed a white precipitate coating the entire inside of my res, pump, etc... Some research led me to the possibility of Potassium precipitate because i added ph down(Gen. hydro) undiluted to the resevoir. Thats where i am now...The plants still seem fine for now....Please help...I don't want to get off to a bad satart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient Issues

Potassium precipitate is unlikely, because almost ALL potassium salts are soluble. It's probably calcium/magnesium (hardness).

When I get that, I filter the nutrient through a coffee filter. Then I lower the pH (I use 4% nitric acid), and then I pour the nutrient back into the reservoir.

This procedure takes out the excess calcium/magnesium in your nutrient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here