Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is really necesary the overflow tube in the Dutch Bucket System??

Posted by jamesvlad (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 23:26

Hi everyone. I started to build my own Dutch Bucket System. I tested the owerflow tube (a inverted "U") that works like a syphon. When the water reaches a determined level, this tube suck out almost all the liquid.
My owerflow tube works well, but I realized that using a drip system, the inverted "U" dont work, because its necesary to add a big quantity of water to make the syphon work, and the drip system provide little water to make the syphon effect.
So I think that its not necesary to adapt a inverted "U", a simple tube is enough to discharge water excess, when using drip system.
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is really necesary the overflow tube in the Dutch Bucket Syst

It basically depends on your growing medium, watering schedule, plants your growing, size of the containers, temperature, so it really depends on what you are going for. If you want a small amount (reserve) left in each bucket, you can use the "U" shaped tube. If you are looking for more/better drainage, the straight tube would be the way to go. You can also set the overflow level to any height you wanted to adjust how much is left at the bottom in-between cycles.

o

how do keep the reserve nutrient solution fresh in the bottom of the dutch bucket system?
Does the inverted U create enough suction to remove the "older" solution?

thank you,

o

I have been growing in bato buckets for years and always used the U shaped siphon tubes. I know that when I shut off the nutrient feed I am left with about 1 1/2" to 2" of solution in the bottom of the bucket. My flow rates are sufficient that every time I feed, enough solution enters the bucket to displace the older solution on the bottom.

One advantage to having the solution on the bottom is if I am away for a day or two and for some reason all or even one bucket is not refreshed with new nutrient, there is a reserve on the bottom so the plant can draw from it. This has saved me more than once.

For these reasons I would vote to add the U tube so you are assured to maintain the liquid on the bottom and make sure your flow rate feeds at least the volume you retain daily to keep the reserve fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here