Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkamm_gw

Re-purposed old fence boards into Dutch Bucket System

kkamm
9 years ago

I had to replace the fence between me and my neighbor and used the old wood to build a container for a 10 site dutch bucket system. The buckets, drain, and water supply lines are all enclosed. No need to paint buckets to keep light out. With the enclosure around buckets and water lines and the reservoir buried, everything should stay cool. I dont have a picture of it, but also built a roof type cover for the reservoir to help keep the sun and elements off of it.

Comments (11)

• parkercwn
    9 years ago

That is a great setup! I like the added touch of blocking out the sun to the root system. I would like to see pictures as you progress.

• kkamm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks man. I will post pics as it progresses.

• robert_1943
    9 years ago

What a great set up, Dutch Buckets are not that popular in Australia, but these would be great for larger plants eg tomato etc. Do you have any problems growing out in full weather. I grow mine outside but under roof eaves getting full sunlight and deflected rain if it comes in sideways under the eaves. Good work it looks like a real winner, let us see some photos once plants are in and getting going.

• kkamm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert, this is my first attempt at growing in full weather. I have several other hydro systems inside including ebb and flow and dwc. These are doing exceptionally well. I think with my res shaded and buried and the enclosed buckets, I should be able to keep things cool with the exception of the canopies. I am planning on building up a sun screen to help with that. I dont think the rain should be much of a problem since the bucket lids are a bit elevated to allow run off and once the plants grow a bit bigger they may divert water around the bucket lids even more. Since the res has a roof over it, I dont have to worry much about rain getting in the res. Check back each week and I will have updated pics.

I am currently growing cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, peppers, and okra.

• blandon
    9 years ago

Nice set up, well done. I could use some advice, please. Should I continue with my plan to buy white food grade buckets vs non food grade? How about painting exterior vs coverings such as panda film? Would paint likely defeat purpose of using food grade? Have you experienced UV impacts on buckets?
    Thanks in advance.

• Mycle2313
    9 years ago

Looks great. 2 questions, what size pump are you uising to feed the buckets? Do you think the plants need a 5 gallon bucket?

blandon Last year i started using some buckets off my NFT system which worked but i ended up moving before I could really see the plants take off in the spring. If you want food grade buckets FREE try asking your grocery store bakery. They have to trash all of their frosting and what not buckets. My HEB gave me a dozen mixed sizes and I used the 3.5 gallon buckets which i liked sine i buried mine in a raised bed so i could drain down to my already buried 55 gallon reservoir. That's why i am asking if 5 gallon is the way to go.....

Again great system and I hope to post more here soon.

• blandon
    9 years ago

Mycle2313, thank you for the reply. Using 3.5s would be a nice savings on media and nutes. I will certainly ask at the grocery store. Also, burying the reservoir would help control temps, as we're still seeing triple digits here.
    Thanks again,

• Mycle2313
    9 years ago

How is the garden? Picture Update?

• mycle2313
    9 years ago

Just wanted to touch base and see how the plants did over the winter and if you are still using the set up this Spring.

• PRO
    Humphry Davy, LLC.
    9 years ago

kkamm,

This looks amazing!