Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babalubird

New to Hydroponics and questions about experiments

babalubird
15 years ago

Hi. Trying my hand first time w/hydroponics. Already broke a few rules because I'm limited on equipment yet. Am I spinning my wheels or do my plants have a chance?

Made an outdoor hydroponic garden as follows: Filled an old fishpond liner w/water and only nutrient I could find--a Miracle Grow Water soluble tomato/veggie plant food at 1/2 required solution--33 TBLSPs/100 Gal. water instead of the 66 directions required. I wanted Peters but couldn't find it. I used a 1 1/2" thick 2x2 piece styrofoam w/holes cut to allow plastic cups plants came in to sit 1/4" into solution. Styrofoam just floats on top of pond.

I broke the rules by using tomato plants, eggplant and peppers in this setup when I know I've read that these do better in drip or NFT systems, but right now, don't have the equipment. They are in perlite first soaked in the solution. I did have a time packing it well enough to get plants secure.

What are my chances of success or did I spin my wheels jumping in without the expensive equipment necessary to do the job correctly?

I have another set of the same plants I intend tomorrow to either plant in soil or pots w/soil for a comparison of the two methods.

Thanks.

Connie

Comments (4)