Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tullyamo

New reservoir, same problems.

Tullyamo
9 years ago

Recently, I've rebuilt my outdoor system. I'll go over some of the details and along with data explain the problem.

1. New 32gal reservoir completely blocks all light.
2. Installed a chiller that has kept reservoir temps below 80f this far work a high of 92 ambient Temp.
3. Installed a 155mesh filter to avoid clogs at my drip head.
4. Installed 2gal per hour flag drip heads to help worth some plants that do not have an established root system.
5. Installed a 571gph bubbler with 3" cylinder stone

There are about 20 plants that aren't huge and aren't small. They are in no way shape or firm harvestable or producing fruit. Lettuce, chard, strawberry, tomatoes, green peppers, chili peppers, basil, and oregano. This producing want a great combination to have in the system to begin with.

Filed the reservoir up with a diluted bleach solution and bubbled it for 5 hours. Drained it and let it dry.
Filed the reservoir up with tap water that is a little hard. Turned on bubbler, checked pH and Ec of the water.

Fresh install water with bubbler only
Ec 1.09
pH 7.9

Added my nutrients. I have Foxfarms grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom.
I added a fraction of what I was so supposed to add according to the feed schedule.

For a 30gal reservoir (I've left room near the top four fittings)
Grow big 360ml
Big bloom 360ml
Tiger bloom 120ml

Once those were in at 10am, my readings were
pH 6.3
Ec 2.55
Temp 66f
The solution was a cream color
Roots dingy wit to write in appearance
No smell.

24 hours later
pH 6.7
Ec 2.03
Temp 65f
Water not so cream colored
Root of plants getting cream to brown staining on them and have the appearance of slime.
After removing the lid to the reservoir there is a hint of an earthy smell. At the highest point today, the reservoir temp was 75f.

What am I doing wrong or what could I change.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner