Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydro bananas

Posted by plantman532000 z5 NcntrlPa. (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 0:55

Is anyone here growing bananas in hydroponics without a greenhouse? I tried a few years back and they grew very well, but I couldn't get them to over winter. I don't have a greenhouse and tried to over winter them in my basement....big mistake. I'd like to try again, but will have to keep them in a warmer part of my home.

Any help will be appricated.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydro bananas

Where are you located? If you have a good location within your living area, bananas should be quite happy with the conditions provided you can provide enough light.

Bananas are not really something that goes dormant to be overwintered. Since they are tropical, they would probably be happy growing at room temperature year round. Again provided there is enough light.

In central FL bananas survive outdoors in the ground though when it gets too cold the tops will die back and if it doesn't stay warm enough long enough, there might not be any bananas from the plant. I've heard of people in the north growing bananas as ornamentals and overwintering them but they are only growing them for the ornamental foliage and not expecting any fruit.

o

I am in zone 5, north central pa. Light is the main problem as I only have one east window for a dwarf orinico and gran nian and two SDC plants, nowhere enough space. I keep my Truly tiny and Little Prince under lights in several places around the house, no problem. It is the bigger ones that I am trying to find space for.

o

Bananas have rhizomes - right?

Isn't it one of those plants then that are said not to be suitable for growing hydroponically?

What gives?

o

It all depends on the type of system you are using. Something with a rhizome might not be appropriate for a small NFT trough but they probably grow fine in a large media filled container that gets drip fed or possibly even wick fed.

o

They actually grow from corms.

I have two super, super dwarf bananas (truly tiny and little prince) growing is S/H and they are doing fine. As good as if not better than the ones I have in pots.

I have seen photos and heard of many others growing larger bananas in active systems, but most if not all are in greenhouses. I don't have the luxury of a greenhouse at this time so I am looking at options of hydro growing for in the home.

john

o

I have a banana in a very large top drip hydro system and it is now around 6-7' tall (no fruit of course). I keep it indoors next to a window all year though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here