Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EC Level not changing?

Posted by teatimecrumpet (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 1:36

Hey does anyone know why my EC level hasn't really changed in a week? I had my 2 gal solution at 2.4 but it's only about 2.3 right now. Shouldn't my tomato plant have taken a lot of the nutrients out and therfore lowered the EC reading or is what the meter reading salt/used up nutrient? Should I just leave it alone until I get a lower reading?
I'm using a new bluelab truncheon meter which is supposed to not need calibrating and has been highly recommended.

Any thoughts?

thanks
-mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EC Level not changing?

It really depends upon how much the tomato is eating....

is it a large plant?
Is it growing vegatatively now?
Is it flowering and fruiting now?
What are the climate conditions?

You haven't given enough information to form an opinion.

o
sorry here's more info

The plant is about 23" in height and just as wide.
Has about 11 branches. And I believe it's still in it's vegetative state because I only see little green buds coming out at the branch joints. It's indoors sitting on a window sill. It's been raining here for a while now but I think it's been getting good amounts of light. I"m also running my air pump 24/7.

I'll try to post some pics.

-m

o
RE: EC Level not changing?

It sounds to me like you have your nutrient concentration in line with your plants needs. It is taking up the nutrient and water at the same ratio as you have established.
It is my experience that in hot dry weather when a lot of moisture is being transpired, the EC tends to go up, and in cool weather when little moisture is used, the EC tends to go down. When you have it correct, the EC tends to remain constant.

Norm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here