Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzybio13

New to Hydro... can someone double check me?

jazzybio13
9 years ago

Ok, just trying my hand at this Hydroponics form of gardening....and would really appreciate any advice and or constructive critiquing on how to do this efficiently, and yes most cost effective. We are not financially well off however a lady at my church donated several gardening supplies (including seeds) to help us out. I would like to be able to use these items if possible but fear my knowledge isn't up to par on how to do hydroponics without running into trouble. I'm in zone 5a if that helps!

Here's a list of things I have.

Gutter tracks (not too much, but could always pick up more if need be)-no end caps...maybe do a DIY? this is left over scraps from a job site.

A topsy turvy tomato bag... never used.

An outdoor planter/bakers rack (so I could potentially go vertical with this?

Earl may's all purpose nutri grow water soluble 20-20-20 feed. This is in powdered form and probably only has a couple of scoops used out of it, so mostly brand new. :)
https://www.earlmay.com/products/?nutri_gro_ap_202020&show=product&productID=155441&productCategoryIDs=695,770

Nutri K - liquid form of potassium. Still sealed.
http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData/ND%5CFertilizer%5CProduct%20Label%5CNUTRI_K_0015_5_12_2009_9_39_04_AM.pdf

4 strawberry plants (like the little 25oz starter plants in lowes and such)... only 2 of them look to be doing well though. (these are currently in soil pots still).

A couple of tomato suckers still rooting in water currently, one is ready to be planted the others still need another few days to root well.

3 different kinds of potato starter seeds: cobbler, red la soda, and kennebec. (are these too late to start???)

Seedlings:
6 lettuce (2 varieties)
bush bean (couple different varieties)
italian parsley
1 tomato (roma)
2-3 broccoli
3-4 spinach

I'm thrilled to death that there's a potential to feed my family off of this, but need a bit of guidance.

What can I do with this stuff? We have a very tiny apartment with a super small patio that is western facing. It generally get's 3-5 hours of direct sunlight, and maybe an hour or two of partial shade before that. There's a big tree out there that shades from like 3pm to 4:30ish then it's back to full sun until it sets. ZONE 5A.

I have very limited electricity out on the patio though... I don't mind manually doing watering and such though so not too big a deal.. (I think).

Can anyone help me out here? :)

1- is this enough of the right kind of sun or am I just going to burn everything up with hot afternoon direct light and kill it all.

2- are the two fertilizer things going to work for doing hydroponic system? If so, am I lacking any other nutrients?? or will just those two be good enough?

3- do those plants work well with hydroponics or do I have to go find some soil to put them in?

4- is it too late in the season to plant? It's already mid june?? Zone 5a so maybe somethings would be ok??

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor