Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microbes/Bacteria

Posted by herb_nerd2000 z7 Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 8:22

What about the lack of bacteria and microbes in a hydroponic system. They are needed for a happy, healthy plant. I know this is going to sound goofy to those of you that know these things, BUT, would it be possible to use organic means to run a hydroponic system. Ya, I know that would be defeating the purpose of hydroponics, but could it be done. Just curious..

Thanks in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microbes/Bacteria

No, it can't be done. I'd suggest something like a earthbox or similar self-watering container for organic growing. There's plenty of information at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb container forum

o

I had the same question in my mind before. When I saw a demo farm that looked like "hydroponics", complete with pvc's, pots, media, etc., where feeding is done only 3 times a day for ten minutes each, I wondered. Well, what do you call that. In the final analysis, it looks like a marriage between hydro and organic methods. The solution they use is an ordinary soil type fertilizer. Another observer says it's not hydroponic but plain and simple sub-irrigation, an automatic watering system. Many of the drip and flood/drain system may be used either way. Pure hydroponics (according to Resh) is a set-up where roots are directly in the nutrient solution. The only function of the medium is to hold the plant in place, nothing else. The 11 planter may be used either as a hydroponic system or sub-irrigation set-up. Make your choice.

o

Plants do not need microbes or bacteria as long you provide the mineral nutrients they require. Plants can be grown under sterile conditions and do fine.

Even hydroponic systems that use no solid medium will almost cetainly have some microbes in the nutrient solution, living off organic materials secreted by the roots and pieces of dead roots. You would have to go to great lengths to provide a completely microbe-free hydroponic system.

o

Here is a message by DR Ingham of the Soil Food Web Oregon which was featured in the Growing Edge magazine. It concerns the use of compost tea with hydroponics for good microbes. A very good read. Link:
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/sfi_html/news/compost tea and hydroponics.html

I've checked out a book from the local library called Grow More Nutritious Vegetables Without Soil: New Organic Method of Hydroponics C1983. The author believs there are certain microbes that plants can take up which could make vegetables more nutritious. I don't recommend the book becouse he says his method is not proven to be more nutritious and his method in the book is not as he claims in the title "organic". He mixes commercial inorganic formulas with commercial organic formulas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost Tea and Hydroponics

o

There are bacteria and fungi additives that are organic (OMRI listed). They act as incredible growth promotors. The techncial info and list of organisms can be found at www.GrowMoreRice.com. The site is targeted towards rice, but the products work on any plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Biological Soil Amendments - bacteria and fungi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here