Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwheeler007

My first hydroponic vegetable garden

rwheeler007
9 years ago

So I love to garden and enjoy the tinkering of hydroponics but don't have much money to devote to this hobby. I've skipped over many of the steps that most people take to insure the health of thier gardens in an effort to do this as affordably as possible. I don't havea ppm meter and use drops to check ph. I'm using the maxigro and bloom dry nutes. This is my first post about the garden and I hope you enjoy the pics.

Comments (22)

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was to busy to harden them off properly so they went outside very early.

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Recycled and painted salad dressing containers. I work at a restaurant so they are easy for me to get.

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotta love the Kratky method.

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomatoes

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent root growth

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Go baby go

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My buddy

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomatoes and cucumbers

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Basil is doing awesome

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toms

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cucumbers. They are already beginning to set fruit! Since the cucs and toms are doing well I'm going to order an air pump to give them a bit more oxygen. I'm posting this to let people know how easy and inexpensively this can be done. The coolers are also recycled from seafood shippments. They seem to do a great job of keeping the roots cool resulting in a lot less wilting than the dressing containers. They do let a little to much light in butI'm working on a solution for that too.

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy roots!

• robert_1943
    9 years ago

Congratulations I am very proud of your efforts.

• boreal_wormer
    9 years ago

Nice. I've got a few Kratky coffee cans going with lettuce. What fertilizer rates did you use?

• robert_1943
    9 years ago

I have attached a PH and EC chart with suggested nutrient rates , Lettuce only require a low nutrient level eg ..8 to 1.2 EC and a PH at about 6 to 7.

Ps I have started some in an old container using the Kratky method, plus some Japanese vegetables Komatsuna in a 12 pot set up which I bought on ebay which grow quickly and great for stir fry or soups.I have grown Kratky and also with an air stone and both give similar results. For Tomato etc which really are very thirsty and need top ups I think the air stone assists in growth.

• boreal_wormer
    9 years ago

Thanks but like rwheeler007 I don't have an EC meter so was looking for the specific products/amounts he used when mixing up his nutrient solution.

• rwheeler007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Robert1943 - Thanks for the chart. I've been looking for something easy like that for ph of different plants.

@Boreal wormer - I used 1 tablespoon per gallon of Maxigrow for basil and lettuce. I use 2 with the cucs and toms, half grow, half bloom. Also I'm on well water that has a ton (600+ppm) of calcium in it.

I'm starting to get some spotting on my lower leaves of the cucs. Like maybe it's stripping the lower leafs for nutes. Should I up the nutes or maybe switch over to only bloom nutes? Good luck with your gardens guys feel free to post a pic of your stuff.

• boreal_wormer
    9 years ago

@ rwheeler007 thanks for the info. Nice job re-purposing the various containers too.

• HassDan
    9 years ago

I am happy that youâÂÂve gone absolutely right so far. But since you are a first-timer, I would like to tell you the basics of hydroponic growing and how to maintain your hydroponic vegetable garden.

Things you should always keep in mind are:
    1. Different vegetable types require specific nutrients and pH levels.
    2. You should use a TDS meter to check the water amount and quality
    3. Prefer a digital probe for measuring the pH and strength of the nutrient solution.
    4. Take test equipment readings only when youâÂÂve run the nutrient at least twice through your system.

• grizzman
    9 years ago

I used to always recommend people grow tomatoes when they first try hydro but after the bumper crop of basil we had last year, that might be the best plant to try on a first run.

• robert_1943
    9 years ago

Hey grizzman me too it is so green and large , I picked a small piece that had self seeded in my soil garden and put it in my ebb a flow , and it just took off.

• caflowerluver
    9 years ago

I'm impressed! Beautiful healthy plants with great roots. What are "bloom dry nutes" and what are the brown square things the seeds are planted in? Are they coir squares? Have you had better success with them vs other materials?
    Thanks.