Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_nicky_gw

What else to grow? Cost?

little_nicky
15 years ago

Currently i'm growing grape tomatoes and they are doing great and the plants are HUGE. I can setup a hydro system for about $60 and grow 8 plants in each system. The problem is that I don't eat tomatoes.

My wife is growing green beans her soil garden and has tried broccoli and cauliflower but it hasn't grown very good in the past.

I pretty much eat anything but peppers, tomatoes and onions. I want to grow something that I will actually eat and enjoy, I was thinking broccoli and cauliflower. Potatoes are cheap so I doubt it would be cost effective along with carrots.

Broccoli and give you a harvest for several weeks but cauliflower you can only harvest once and then that is the end of the plant.

What can I grow that I will eat that would be cost effective in a $60 8 plant system? I'm not taking into account cost of water or nuts. My systems are grown out doors for now but bringing them in during the winter or starting a small greenhouse is a possibility.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

I grow what I eat. I like lots of things. Here are some I grow Hydro and work well:

Celery
    Lettuce
    Cucumbers
    Crooked Neck Squash
    Garlic
    Basil
    Pepper (Black Peppercorn)
    Peanuts
    Broccli
    Dill

• chuck
    15 years ago

If you like egg plant, you might try the Japaneese Ichibang. They seem to grow pretty fast, and they cook up fast as well. Pototoes are expensive down here in Florida now. I'm thinking of starting some, but not in a hydro system, just a big tub. chuck

• little_nicky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is growing Celery, Broccoli, and cauliflower worth it though if I can only grow 8 plants at a cost of $60, comes out to $7.50 a plant. Tomatoes, cucumbers and squash are worth it because they just keep producing all season. Has anyone grown potatoes in hydro? How big of a yield do you get?

Thanks

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

I missed the costs part. I grow hydro because they grow super fast, and it is a great hobby not for costs. However, I have tried growing potatoes hydro, and in my opinion they are better in dirt!

How about some herbs or spices?

• oakleaf33
    15 years ago

Little nicky. I can hardly believe what you are paying for the plants. Do u mean it cost u $60.00 to setup the system and buy the plants. I was just unclear about that. Anyway if u wanna grow cauliflower u might wanna try doing it in a cool spot. I think broc is a cold weather crop, I know cauliflower is "suppose" to be grown in late fall or below 55 degrees I believe.

• little_nicky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My system costs $60 so divide by 8 plants that's $7.50 it costs per plant to grow.

What veggies are there that keep fruiting? It doesn't seem cost effective to plant something you can only harvest once.

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

Cost seems too "fixed" - your system may cost $60 to build, but you need light and power to run the pumps and aeration...not to mention the cost of Nutrients, possibly a heater/chiller to keep the nutrient solution at optimum temps...Are you taking into account all the other costs...I know it costs me more to grow hydroponically and aeroponically, but I'd rather eat well and have the pride of growing my own food...

If you have some cost saving methods you are employing, I'd love to hear more!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.TechnologyGarden.net

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

The price thing is confusing. You say the system cost $60. Here's how cost usually breaks down on hydroponics systems.

Equipment (the actual hardware of the system)
    Lighting (if you're using the sun it's free, if not there's the cost of lights, electrical works, and electricity)
    Environmental (any heating, cooling, fans, etc)
    Nutrients (plants gotta eat, and if you're buying RO water that goes here too)
    Plants (generally considered an inconsequential cost)

So when you say it costs you $60 for your system it sounds like you're talking about the equipment. When you say you can grow 8 plants at a cost of $60 it sounds like you're talking about the cost of nutrients since most people don't keep track of the rest.

If you're talking about the cost of building the system, that's a one-time expense. The start-up cost of a hydroponics system is high, but as it grows more and more crops it becomes more cost-effective.

So how are you measuring your costs?

• little_nicky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The system costs $60 to build.

I use the sun.

OK, what i'm trying to get at is if I grow a plant or 8 plants as I can, they produce once or maybe twice a season. I simply place those plants in the soil garden for now. Plants that just keep producing like tomatoes (which I don't eat) I put in my hydroponics because they produce a lot and I want them to produce as much as possible. But If I was to plant something like cauliflower which as far as I know produces once and thats the end of the plant. I don't find it very effective, cost or time wise to grow in hydro.

Which plants keep producing all season long?

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

You're making the mistake of counting the cost of the system against the value of a single crop. You don't have to throw it all away and start over next crop, you can use the same equipment over and over.

Grow what you want. If you grow what costs the most you'll create a job. If you grow what you like you create fun.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting