Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_pnwzone8

is there a specific name for these pots?

nancy_pnwzone8
11 years ago

if you go to this link below, there is a picture of an aglaonema in a passive hydroponic pot. i was wondering if these pots have a specific name, or brand name? it looks like a net pot set into a DWC reservoir, but without aeration.

the site is italian if that makes a difference. i think i remember reading a while ago about these types of pots being used for house plants in europe in the early 70's, but i can't remember for sure.

tia,

nancy

ps i'll cross post this on houseplants forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giuseppe Mazza photo of Aglaonema nitidum

Comments (5)

• homehydro
    11 years ago

It's called a ceramic pot. You can get them anywhere.

• nancy_pnwzone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

home...

can't you see the roots through the glass? the "pot" appears to be a two piece hydro pot.

the set-up is similar to the "spathiphyllum with betta in a vase" that you find sometimes in gift shops. although you can easily re-create this with a net pot set inside a waterproof outer pot, i'm curious if these have a brand or type name.

cheers,

nancy

• homehydro
    11 years ago

It looks like a painted on picture to me. But regardless if it's a ceramic, glass, plastic, or whatever material, it's just a container that holds water. Anything will do. Many people use fish tanks because they like to be able to see the roots.

I'm sure there are dozens of company's selling similar overpriced products, and each with their own copyrighted name for it. Go down to the dollar store, get a glass vase. Then go to the nursery and get a net pot to fit it, and fill the net pot with coco coir/chips from a hydroponics store (coco coir/chips can also often be found at some nurseries as well). You can make your own decorative vase for just a few bucks, verses the $40-$60 you'll pay to buy it in a box at the specialty store.

"hydro pot" is not a real term. There are only 6 types of hydroponic systems (Drip, NFT, Flood and drain, Aeroponic, water Culture, and Wick). The pictured pot would be a water culture (and/or wick) system. There is no other name for it. A company can put anything they want to on the box. They can even call it anything they want to make it sound new or special (marketing propaganda). But that still dosen't change the fact that it's just a simple water culture system. And a poor one at that. Very few plants will do well without oxygenating the water. Most plants will have negative effects when getting any light to the roots. And algae will grow uncontrollably when given food (plant nutrients) and light.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think she wanted this particular pot or vase or whatever you want to call it, so just any old thing may not do. The info imparted is helpful regarding terminology, but lack of knowledge about such terms is no reason to take a tone. She was trying to make herself understood without the benefit of prior knowledge, not trying to coin a new term.

It looks painted at the top but it's just clear green at the bottom, possibly with some kind of etched or cut design. I can see the roots.

• homehydro
    11 years ago

purpleinopp
    There is/was no "Tone" intended, sorry if you or anyone took it that way. I took the question too different ways, and tried to answer both. The first was if they were only looking for a specific retailer/manufacture. If so, then I've no idea. I've never seen that ad before. The other possible question is more general, and that was if there is a specific name for that type of system. Without saying it all over again, I believe I sufficiently explained that "NO" there isn't any specific name for that system other than a "Water culture," and/or combination "Water Culture/Wick system.

Then I went a steep further and tried to explain that the term "hydro pot" wasn't a real term. I never said that she/he made it up. In fact, it's my belief that he/she got it from some manufacturer trying to sell a product using that term. My point in trying to explain that the term was only a marketing propaganda term was intended to help them in their search (not as scolding). When searching for things on the internet (even in person or on the phone) it helps greatly if you use correct terms, names, and/or keywords for what your looking for information on. My intention was to try and explain the difference between a marketing term and the type of system it is/was in the link, simply in order for them to find information on it much quicker and easier.

So If they were looking for the name of the manufacture of the product in the picture. No, I don't know. But doubt that was the question because they have a link to the product, and from that it would be fairly easy to find out/narrow down. But if they were looking to know what type of system it was and the name of it (witch was in the original question), I believe I answer that. Even giving explanations as to the difference in terms.