Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pacchiraku

Preparing Strawberry runners for refrigerating

pacchiraku
10 years ago

Hello, I have a multi-tiered, vertical PVC setup with 48 cutouts for strawberries. The system is working great but what I am hoping someone can help me out with is some information on how to prepare strawberry runners for a chilling period. Do you cut all the leaves off or what? All the plants in my current hydro setup are runners from a mother plant in a separate tank. They are thriving and look great but from what I have read, they need to go through a chilling period (false wintering kind of thing) before they will produce berries. What do you do with the plants in preparation for refrigerating? A range of 10 days to 5 months time chilling is what I have read is appropriate so you have quite a range of time to play with. I'll probably only wait a couple of weeks and set them back out for their "new season. Was thinking to use coco coir as medium to store them in and bag them or a box maybe to hold them in the frig. Do I cut off any of the leaves down to the crown or what? Any experience in this phase?

Comments (7)